Sixteen

Carmen

"Soon, in December, we will be going up against St. John's Prep in a debate," Mr. Wright tells us as he walks back and forth in front of the chalkboard. "And as you know, you will argue against one of their pupils on a predetermined topic or resolution in front of a row of judges. Your topic will be given to you November first. After being given the resolution you will have to argue either affirmative or negative. Judges will rate you on a scale of 1-30 based on how well you present and argue your information. You will be placed into teams of three chosen by..." His lips lift into a thin grin. "You guessed it, me."

I suck in a breath and try not to clench my jaw too hard. I've never felt such annoyance toward another human being.

I glance to the head of blonde hair across from me.

Nevermind.

"Next week is november 1st. When you all will be receiving your resolutions. Until then, we will be practicing every single day after school. Today, I want you all to form a circle with the desks. One of you will state a claim, the next person will shorten it into less words, next person will form it with more powerful words, and so on."

I glance around the large room. A bunch of guys in suits that smell of expensive cologne.

Anxiety prickles at my stomach and I fold my hands.

Mr. Wright's lip curls. "Well, get to it."

Romero

"Ma'am if you would like for me to remake your coffee I can do that," I inform the old woman in front of me as she looks at me like she wants to choke me.

"I want to speak with your manager," she bites out.

I run my tongue over my teeth.

What time do I clock out again?

Walking to the back, I knock on Ms. Perez's office door and walk in.

She sits behind her computer eating rice out of a slightly yellowed plastic container.

"A customer would like to speak with you," I tell her.

She looks up at me and rolls her eyes before getting up. "Ay coño," she mutters under her breath before walking past me.

The angry lady still sits at the counter, sipping on the coffee which she claims I've made wrong. Three times.

Three.

"How I can help you?" Ms. Perez asks her.

"Your employee keeps making my drink wrong and I've had it," she bites out while popping a chubby hand on her hip.

I pinch my nose bridge and sigh. God give me patience.

Ms. Perez lifts her eyebrow and looks down to the cup of coffee. "I make it for you then if you want." She reaches across the counter and nicely takes it from the woman.

The woman crosses her arms over her chest as Ms. Perez squints down at the cup.

I lean against the counter as I watch Ms. Perez look back up to the lady confused. "If you don't like, why you drink it all?"

I lift my eyebrow slightly towards the lady.

I don't get paid enough for this merda.

"Because it was given to me, but I didn't like it," she lifts her chin in the air, exposing the pearl necklace underneath.

I have to refrain from rolling my eyes. The amount of people like this in restaurants and places to eat is fucking ridiculous.

Just go to the store and steal coffee, I don't get why you gotta waste my fuckin' time.