Twelve

Romero

Why did I agree to this?

I blow out a breath as I sit on some white couch that most likely cost more than my house.

I sit practically on the edge and lean my elbows on my knees.

There's a bunch of people I recognize from school and a bunch I don't.

I keep my gaze trained on the floor because if I look up I'm not gonna know where to look.

Gucci, Chanel, Prada, and every other fucking name brand is everywhere.

How the fuck did I end up around people like this?

The sound of heels clicking against the marble tile getting closer makes me glance up.

Carmen holds two fancy glasses in her hands with a small smile directed towards me.

My mouth runs dry.

And how the fuck did I end up being asked here with a girl like that?

"Why did I agree to this?" I suddenly ask her.

The corners of her heart shaped lips lift. "Because I bought you coffee. Duh." She jokingly rolls her eyes and takes the seat right next to me on the couch before passing me the glass.

"What's in it?" I ask, lifting it to my nose.

"I don't drink, so I got both of us seltzer. And if you do drink, well...too bad then I guess." She shrugs and smiles as she takes a sip of it and looks at me over the glass.

My heart rate picks up and I swallow, looking away and taking a sip. "Nah, it's all good. I don't like to drink."

I glance back to her and my eyes unconsciously follow as she darts her tongue out to wet her lips.

Her eyes meet mine and I quickly glance away, then back to her. "So...whose party is this again?"

"Amanda. Except I haven't seen her around. I just dropped her gift off on the pile in the main living room. I got her a really cute cashmere sweater and some Dior contour and highlighter," she whisper yells to me excitedly.

I smile and nod, acting as if I know what that is.

I down the rest of the seltzer and Carmen takes it out of my hand the next second, placing it on the coffee table, then turning to me.

"It's my friend's birthday party and we've been sitting in this empty room for ten minutes. Are you ready to go mingle and show our faces?"

I glance all around her smooth face and pretty eyes.

My mouth goes ajar slightly and I look to the door, hearing all the muffled talking beyond it.

My heart pumps a little faster.

"We don't have to stay for long," she adds on after hearing my silence. "Just let me know when you want to go and I'll be out that door before you. I'm only here for Amanda. Other than that there's too many people from school here I dislike. Except then again I want them to see me just for the fact that they don't like me."