Forty eight

Romero

I push the stroller with one hand while using the other to hold Carmen's hand as we walk along the path.

"She emailed me back saying she would like to meet," she continues on with her story of every email her and the college scout sent each other earlier.

I lift her hand to my mouth and kiss the back of it. "Gonna put on your fanciest dress?"

She smiles and rose rises to her cheeks as she lets her head fall to my shoulder for a moment. "Oh how you know me so well."

I lean down and press a quick kiss to her forehead.

"I also learned that the college she works for is well...is Harvard," she continues, a subtle anxiousness mixed with excitement in her tone.

I stop walking and immediately turn to her.

Harvard.

Fucking Harvard.

"Holy fuck," I murmur.

She pulls her bottom lip into her mouth as she smiles widely.

Letting go of the stroller for a moment, I wrap her in my arms for a hug.

She giggles against my chest and jumps a little as she hugs me back tightly.

"Romero!" My head turns to see Mariana tilting her head out the side of the stroller to look at me as she starts to roll away. Her pacifier sits in her hand, covered in baby slobber.

Quickly, I grab onto the handle and pull her back towards us. "Shit my bad."

Carmen purses her lips at me and tilts her head with a smile before going to the front of Mariana and kneeling down to look at her.

She opens up her arms with a smile. "Quieres uppy?"

I watch with a smile as Mariana lifts her arms and sucks on her pacifier.

Carmen flashes those pearly white teeth and coos as she lifts Mariana up and props her up on her hip.

Mariana drops her head against Carmen's shoulder and wraps her arms around her neck.

My heart thumps in my chest from the view of my girlfriend holding my baby sister.

I never really wanted to kids.

But looking at her holding a baby makes me want to give her one.

"I know you just got off work from the coffee shop, but can we please go get coffee?" A half smile pulls on her face along with a hopeful expression.

I just smile and try to memorize every inch of her face for a moment.

"Lead the way."

~

Ms. Perez's eyes widen as she sees me.

"Porque estás aquí?" she asks seemingly confused.

Before I can respond she looks to Carmen and then to Mariana.

"Ah." She nods. "Ya veo. Hola Carmenita. Y quien tenemos aquí?" A smile pulls onto her face as she looks at Mariana.

Mariana smiles shyly and hides her face in Carmen's hair.

"Ella es tímida," I tell Ms. Perez.

She continues looking at Mariana. "Mira a este rizados rubios. Ay que linda. Deseo que yo tenga rizados como eso."

Carmen's smile widens. "Yo también. En mis sueños."

I lean against the stroller as Carmen and Ms. Perez talk for a moment.