16. drowning (part 2)

Anaya's POV

Anaya's POV.
6:15am

I open my eyes, blinking slowly trying to remember what happened and where I was. I yawn a couple times before realizing it's a little early and decide to go back to sleep. But my pillow felt weird...

My eyes widen to find that I was practically spooning Jay. I couldn't help, but pause and watch him sleep. He looked so vulnerable, so peaceful. Instead of the furrowed brow and the scowl he regularly wore. He looked...happy.

"Stop staring at me."

My face gets hot with embarrassment before whispering a quick, "I'm sorry."

Instead of replying, he yawns and pulls me closer to his chest.

I don't know what this is, but I felt safe in his arms.
—————-
9:30am

I sat patiently on Jacobs bed waiting for him to get out of the shower. I scroll through the messages from my bro, all of them in caps. I quickly text him back that I'm ok and that I'll be home before 3. I scroll through my insta feed, when out of nowhere,  Jacob comes out of a steamy bathroom with just a towel barely hanging around his waist and using a smaller towel to dry his hair.

"You'll catch flies Nay." He chuckles before grabbing a couple pieces of clothing and strutting back into the bathroom.

I quickly shut my mouth and roll my eyes before deciding to go downstairs and see what Marylou is cooking in the kitchen. I'm still in awe how nice this place is. Must be nice to live in a mansion.

"Birds flying high, You know how I feel
Sun in the sky, You know how I feel
Reeds driftin' on by, You know how I feel"

Marylou sung her heart out, swaying her hips to the sound of the music. She could sing. Really, really well. I quietly take a seat on the island and continue to listen to her beautiful voice.

"It's a new dawn
It's a new day
It's a new life
For me
And I'm feeling good"

"Wow! Mary you can sing!" I clap my hands while she looks at me surprised.

"Oh thank you honey. I didn't know anyone was here." She hands me a plate of sausage, eggs and pancakes and proceeds to make another plate for Jacob.

I devour the food like Helga while Mary wipes her hands on her yellow plaid apron and takes a seat across from me, "Soo. Are you and Jacob...a thing?"

I was taken by surprise, that I nearly choke on a piece of sausage. Mary quickly grabs a glass, filling it with water and handing it to me.

I drink halfway before responding, "Thank you, but um I was just having a bad night and he was the one person I could call for help without any questions asked. He sees me as a friend anyway...as do I."