Chapter Two

The fire in the Gryffindor common room crackled softly, lighting up the dark room as Alice and her friends caught up with each other long in to the night. The four were sprawled across the couches in the room, resting on plush pillows and soft blankets as they watched the embers dance. After being away for so long, Alice had forgotten quite how cosy it was in the common room, as though the room itself was giving those in it a warm hug.

Apparently the Gryffindor common room was regarded as the most homely and, considering Alice felt like she was coming home to Hogwarts, it felt appropriate. Part of her had always been curious to see the other common rooms, though, wondering where her fellow students spent their time. Despite her better judgement, she couldn't help but picture the Slytherin common room as a dungeon, including literal cells lining the wall. Of course she was well aware that there would have been enraged parents battering the front gates down if that was the case, but she couldn't help the image from getting in to her mind.

Hermione and Ron were sat in two different armchairs, both chairs big enough to fit two people, but both people too nervous to ask. Ron sat sideways with his lanky legs hanging over the arm of his chair, swinging his feet absentmindedly, while Hermione sat cross legged on hers with a book open in her lap and cushions surrounding her.

Alice and Harry sat either end of a small sofa, Alice's feet resting in his lap. She'd put her feet on him without asking but, judging by the smile that appeared on his face, she didn't think he was bothered by it. It was, after all, how they used to sit when they were kids, although the sofa had seemed considerably bigger back then.

The group had been sharing everything important they could think of from the past five years, all the way from 'Who out of Harry and Ron could chug a butterbeer the fastest' to everything that's happened concerning Voldemort. Since the last time he was mentioned he was only referred to as you-know-who, Alice was having a difficult time getting used to saying his name, it feeling foreign on her tongue.

Naturally, there was a pit of guilt forming in the pit of her stomach as she heard about the seemingly endless challenges that Harry had faced. The past few years of his like must've been beyond difficult for him, as they would've been for anyone. Part of her wondered how he was still alive, still talking about it without having the breakdown she knew she would be having if she were in his place. It was almost impossible to imagine that, only a year after she left Hogwarts, a tiny Harry managed to kill a Basilisk. He just still seemed far too young to do something so huge.

Guess they don't call him 'the chosen one' for nothing, she thought to herself, glancing to Harry who looked to be nearly asleep. With a yawn, Harry took off his glasses and rubbed his tired eyes with the palms of his hands, making his already messy hair even messier.

Despite being ready for sleep, all of them felt too full to move. The feast earlier was actually quite enjoyable, despite how nervous Alice was beforehand, her heart beating at twice the speed it regularly does practically the whole time. A surprising amount of students recognised her, which made her feel considerably better about herself. Seamus and Dean greeted her instantly, as well as Neville, who had changed quite a bit since their first year. Some Professors also took the time to greet Alice, although she reckoned it was because Dumbledore had already informed them of her situation.

Gryffindor welcomed her back with open arms, and to call it a relief would be an understatement. She had also been treated to a lovely hug from Hagrid, who was very fond of her in her first year, as he was with all of Harry's friends. Alice had always had a particular soft spot for the half-giant, who even welled up with tears when he saw her get off the train.

Though she hadn't expected to be a complete outcast, how quickly she was welcomed back surprised her, not that she was complaining. It truly felt like coming home, and to say she was grateful would be an understatement.