10.

Song recommendation: Epiphany by Taylor Swift
-

"Carter!" Captain Torrid shouted at me as I was in the middle of a training course.

"What's going on?" I dropped down from the metal bar I'd been hanging from.

"Your phone keeps buzzing. I thought I told you to shut it off." He scolded.

"I'm sorry." I ran over to my backpack that was sitting in front of the training building. "My Gran's just sick at the moment and I want to make sure she's alright." I pulled my cell phone out of my bag and checked my messages. It was from the nurse staying at our house.

'Ophelia isn't doing too well, we're preparing for the worst. If you're not doing anything super important, I suggest you make a trip down here.'

"Oh my god." My voice broke. "Captain I'm so sorry but I have to leave. It's a family thing."

"Family hey? You have to learn how to miss out on events Carter. You'll be working full time soon." The Captain replied, not realizing the severity of my issue.

"Sir my Grandmother is dying! She's my only family left, can I please go see her?" I pleaded, trying my best to keep my composure. "I promise I'll put in overtime, I just don't want her to be alone."

"Oh, I'm sorry! Yes of course dear. Get out of here!" He came to his senses and waved me away.

"Thank you!" I fumbled with my belongings and my car keys. "I will make it up to you!"

Upon arriving at my childhood home in Portland, I prepared myself mentally for what was about to happen. Gran had a pretty bad case of pneumonia. She'd been sick for three weeks now, and things weren't looking good for her. I'd been trying to spend as much time with her as I could, but between the Police Academy and working part time to help provide for the two of us, I didn't see Gran as often as I wanted to.

I ran into the house as fast as I could, not wanting to miss anything. I sprinted up the stairs, praying to god that I wouldn't accidentally miss a step and face plant into the hardwood. I rounded the corner and appeared in the doorway to Gran's bedroom, panting.

"Ophelia." Gran said softly.

I felt a lump form in my throat. She looked so fragile. I'd never seen her look so small and submissive. Usually she had this vibrant cloud of energy swirling around her all the time, like she was a character out of a children's cartoon, but now she looked dull and grey. It was heartbreaking.

"Come here dear." She raised a bony hand to call me over, but she was too weak to complete the motion. I trotted over quickly and sat beside her on the bed. "Would you mind giving us a moment alone?" She asked the nurse.

"Of course." She nodded and left the room promptly.

"Gran," I held her frail hand in my own. I was just now realizing that this was actually going to happen. "I'm not ready."

"You are." She placed her other hand on top of mine. Her blue eyes were cloudy, and tired. "I am too."

"What am I going to do without you?" A tear rolled down my cheek.

"You're going to take over the world." She let out the smallest wheeze of a laugh. "I need you to do something for me."

"What is it?" I adjusted my sitting position.

"There's a file in my nightstand." She instructed. "When I'm gone, I want you to read it, and I want you to finish it."

"Okay." I nodded. "Of course I will."