8 | colors

Y/N felt his hand touch hers, yet Nishinoya didn't have the guts to initiate holding hands. The farthest he has gone with a girl was definitely an attempt on an embrace and this was new territory for him.

Their hands "bumped" into each other more often, both too shy to do anything else.

"Ow," he heard Y/N's hushed wail after being bumped by a stranger. She pushed back her glasses.

"Hey!" Nishinoya exclaimed at the stranger, overreacting and visibly more annoyed than she would expect.

"Yuu-senpai," she nudged him slightly. Y/N worried that he'd be the type of person to start a petty fight over something like that.

"Ah, yes, yes?" Nishinoya's mood swings were quick.

"Nothing," she shook her head and finally saw a goldfish stall.

"Goldfish scooping," she spoke in her usual soft voice, pointing at it.

"Oh yeah!" his face lit up, excited to see how his romance would progress upon following his friend's advice.

"Here you go," the attendant handed her two scoops and Nishinoya didn't even notice her pay.

"Take one," she smiled and gave him one. She looked at the waters, the blue color faintly reflecting on her glasses.

"O-okay," he nodded and smiled back.

The two had fun with their attempts of scooping a goldfish. She felt less tense and she began to feel more at ease with Nishinoya, but it was the opposite for him. He was gradually getting more nervous, a little more conscious of his actions with her.

"I think the fireworks are going to start soon," Nishinoya guessed as she stood up.

"It's a huge crowd," she mumbled, hinting how much she dislikes it.

"The view here is nice too," he looked up at the stars.

It made her smile, gazing at the boy as he gazed upon the sky. The moonlight shone through his face and beautifully on his blonde streak. His eyes glimmered, the fireworks were starting.

"Oh," he mouthed in awe and looked at her, catching her stare.

But it didn't matter for Nishinoya, he was too distracted with the pretty colors on the sky to be too flustered now.

"Look, look," he excitedly watched the fireworks again.

Amidst the noise of the fireworks and the colorful sight of the nightsky, she leaned a little closer to him, almost as if she wanted to kiss him.

This caught Nishinoya off guard and he looked at her nearing his face, which then in turn surprised the poor girl.

She leaned back and muttered an "I'm sorry," which was almost completely muffled by the noise of the fireworks.

"What was what?!" Nishinoya asked himself, entirely clueless, "So close! Her face was so close."

Y/N looked down at the ground, flustered and embarrassed with Nishinoya still staring at her. He was definitely red too, neither of them knew what to do.

"I should say something," they both thought.

Nishinoya, unused to awkwardness, grabbed her hand and pulled her closer, "W-watch the f-fireworks w-with me," he told her, trying to sound cool despite his stutters.

The sudden move surprised Y/N again and left her almost speechless and frozen.

"I-It's pretty," she commented as she finally looked up.

Nishinoya's fingers still intertwined with hers and he even tightened his hold.

"You're prettier," Nishinoya thought. After holding her hand and his attempt on saying something cool, he no longer had the guts to add up to that. He was too bashful by now.

Minutes later, the fireworks show came to an end with them still holding hands.

Not saying a word, they took a stroll around the festival. Nishinoya noticed hand getting misty, it was embarrassing.

"S-should we go home now?" he asked her.

"The date's coming to an end already?" Y/N was dismayed.

"Sure," she ironically answered.

"C-can I w-walk you home?" he stuttered, it was Nishinoya's best attempt.

"Don't you need to go home now, too?" she tucked a lock of hair behind her ear.

"T-that's okay!" he said, he was reverting back to his usual cheery self. She liked that more.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes!" he reassured her.

The ball of sunshine was back.

"Okay," she smiled and pushed her glasses back.

They walked home together, still holding hands but this time, the awkward atmosphere finally faded away. He was lively as ever.

"So, what do you want to do after high school, Yuu-senpai?" she asked him as they walked on the road that lead to her house.

"I'm actually not sure," he answered.

"Aren't you going pro?" she asked.

"She thinks I'm that good to go pro?!" he thought and melted on the inside.

"Heh, I'm not sure either," he bashfully said.

"And you?" he returned the question.

"Ah," she mouthed and smiled, she knew exactly the answer, "I want to travel the world!"