23 | my star

Y/N kept her word and quit the volleyball club, disappointing everyone.

"I've had the best 3 years here. I've improved a lot because of all of you. Thank you," Y/N bowed.

"W-why are you quitting?" one of the girls asked.

"I thought we're still going to the nationals?" another followed.

"I'm sorry," Y/N added, not wanting to explain any further.

"It's going to be okay because you have Koharu-chan," she continued and looked at the setter.

"M-me?" the girl pointed at herself.

"You have potential, I can tell it," Y/N reassured, "You'll do well in the Nationals."

After quitting the volleyball club, Y/N felt one step closer to Brazil, or wherever Nishinoya is. Nothing was keeping her from him now, it was only a matter of time.

Diligently, she worked every day, trying to save up. She earned quite a bit from the magazine articles she featured in and the few interviews she was in.

She'd look at Nishinoya's social media sometimes, but it all seemed frozen back to when he was still in high school. After graduation, there wasn't a single post nor a single activity there.

Little did she know that Nishinoya had a fan account made just for her. ayasefan_04. Nishinoya loved searching her name on the web as he knew she appeared on articles sometimes.

"Miyagi's Genius Setter, Ayase Y/N."

"Powerhouse Niiyama Girls' Ayase Y/N"

"Japan's Top Setter Ranking (Below 19): Ayase Y/N of Niiyama Girls' still holding top place"

She was a star and Nishinoya knew it. He was glad he didn't hinder her blossoming success.

"Take your time, my angel," Nishinoya always muttered every time he read them.

° ° ° ° °

graduation

° ° ° ° °

"Go get his second button, Kimi-chan," her friend nudged the other as they exited the graduation hall.

"Ayase-senpai!" she heard her name get called, "Ayase Y/N!" she heard it again.

She looked to the right, where the voice was coming from, and saw a second year from the volleyball club.

"Are you really quitting, Ayase-senpai?" the younger approached with a worried look.

"You quit the volleyball club but I didn't think you'd totally turn-"

"I'm really quitting, Koharu-chan," Y/N confidently told her.

"But you're a star now!" Koharu frowned. Y/N knew very well that Koharu, being a setter too, was looking up to her before.

"I'm after something else," Y/N added.

"C-career change? Are you going to model? I mean, you've been on-" the younger enthusiastically blurted out her guesses.

"What are you talking about?" Y/N laughed, "Modeling?" she chuckled.

"I'm going somewhere really really far, Koharu-chan."

"So, see ya around," Y/N turned around and walked away, "I might watch your games on TV. So do your best," Y/N waved, not looking back.

"I'll beat you as a setter, Y/N-senpai!" she yelled.

"I'm rooting for you!"

"I'll beat your rank!"

"Goodluck!"

After taking several pictures with her friends, Y/N went home immediately. However, midway through, she noticed her phone vibrate.

Baby sent you a message!

Nishinoya's nickname has never changed and neither did hers.

my grandpa's house
storage shed

"W-what?" she gasped and read another text containing the address.

"Yuu?!" her heart skip a beat as she paused.

She had only one thing in her mind just like before. Nishinoya, and Nishinoya alone. It was as if her legs acted on their own and she began running to the address.

Not minding the occasional fluffing of her skirt, she chased as fast as she could, "I'll run to you, I told you I'll run to you!"