20 | chicken soup

Life went on as it should. Nishinoya's good morning and good night texts continued as usual, but it wasn't the same. They both knew they'd one day face the reality of being apart.

° ° ° ° °

Johzenji High
3 months later

° ° ° ° °

"Oh, isn't that Ayase-san?" Hinata pointed just before they entered the bus. Nishinoya, not even tired from the practice match, quickly turned his head in search for her.

"W-where?!" he exclaimed.

"Hey, Yuu, didn't you tell me yo-" Tanaka reminded but was interrupted.

"Ryu, I take it back, I can't just ignore my angel," Nishinoya looked at his friend.

"She's really here! It's been so long!" Nishinoya thought.

"Ah hello," Kageyama greeted Y/N.

"Hello, Tobio-san," she greeted.

"F-first name basis?" Nishinoya glared.

"Y/N-chan!" he exclaimed.

"Yuu," Tanaka sighed.

"H-hello," she greeted him as well and lowered her head.

"Hey, Ayase-chan, let's go," she heard her Captain.

"Ah, right," she turned around and kept up with her seniors.

Tanaka held his friend's shoulder, stopping him from taking another step forward.

"Nishinoya, Tanaka, get in the bus!" Coach Ukai scolded.

"Seriously? She won't even call my name?" Nishinoya thought as he finally stepped inside.

"So someone saw their ex?" Tsukishima spoke as he saw Nishinoya's expression.

"Not an ex!" Nishinoya defended.

"Yes, yes, just giving each other space," Tsukishima recalled what Nishinoya would always call it in denial.

The two went to sit at the back and Nishinoya stared at the window, longing for her.

"Give yourself some time to forget her, you know?" Tanaka advised.

"I don't want to forget her," Nishinoya pouted and whined.

"She looks like she's living her best life though."

"My Y/N-chan looks well, yeah," Nishinoya nodded.

Tanaka sighed again. Nishinoya still wouldn't stop calling her 'my angel' or 'my Y/N-chan.'

Meanwhile, for Y/N, it was also the first time she had seen him for months. She continued following her seniors on their way to yakiniku, but her pace was slowing down.

Her heart felt heavy upon seeing him look so lively and energetic, he was back to his old usual self. Nishinoya remained to be the ball of sunshine she loves.

"H-hey, are you okay?" Amanai asked and put her arm around the younger's shoulders.

Her eyes seemed glassy as her tears piled up unknowingly. "I'm okay," she lied and looked at the concrete sidewalk.

"He's okay, so I should be okay," she mumured, ironically as she burst into tears.

The chicken soup appetizer she had for that night had never tasted so bland.