CHAPTER 15 - Hemanth

When Karthik came back to his room with a plate of rice, he found Sindhu in the same position; deep in her thoughts.

She quietly took the plate from him without a word and continued to glance down.

"What are you thinking?" he asked quietly.

She raised her eyes to his "I was thinking what would have happened if Lakshmi didn't come on time"

He sighed heavily "Sindhu... Stop thinking about it. It's over"

"I am just scared. What if he comes back for revenge?"

"He won't. They will be leaving this place in a few days"

Her face instantly relaxed "Thank God!!!"

"Now eat" he almost ordered.

She nodded before looking at him in the eye "Do you know why Lakshmi came at that time. I mean she is no longer working as a maid---"

"She came to give the ironed clothes"

"Lucky me" she said sarcastically making him frown.

"I will go out. I-I need some fresh air" he announced leaving the room.

After he left, Sindhu ate the food feeling thankful for having him at her side. She wished he is always caring like that.

Karthik wanted to leave the house for a while to think properly. Yet, he didn't want to leave his wife alone. What if she was scared again and needed him?

He walked towards his balcony closing the glass door behind him. He didn't understand why he felt guilty about Sindhu. If she went to office like him, she wouldn't have faced this. Yet, he knew women are never safe these days and men like Srinivas are always around.

He couldn't forget the image of her petrified face when he came home. Just seeing her, made him so angry that he wanted to kill Srinivas. Why do men go to that extent just for pleasure of few minutes is something he never understood. Laying hand upon a woman without her consent is a crime and he wished there were strict laws in India for men who did that.

He can't bring himself to think what would have happened if Lakshmi didn't reach there on time. He knew he would have lost Sindhu making him wish he killed Srinivas.

When did Sindhu become so important to him? Why was seeing her in pain, killing him? Why can't he get her scared face, off his mind?

He stood there for almost an hour before going back to his room making sure all the doors are locked.

Karthik was surprised to see Sindhu sleeping on the floor of his room, on a blanket. Though she gets back pain, she must have slept down not wanting to face his anger.

Sighing, he walked towards her and picked her up in his arms, slowly placing her down on his bed. She was sleeping with a frown on her face which he found adorable.

Shaking his head, he lied down beside her, carefully so as not to wake her up. His hands itched to pull her closer but he refrained himself from doing so; he felt like an idiot for even getting that idea.

When Sindhu woke up the next day, she thought she was dreaming again seeing Karthik beside her. He was so close to her that she could feel his breath on her face. Smiling, she observed his face which looked relaxed unlike last night. Her smile vanished when he opened his eyes suddenly.

"Good Morning" she squeaked. What the hell happened to her voice?

"Good morning" he said slowly, closing his eyes for a moment.