CHAPTER 40 - Romances and Humiliations

Since I didn't write a chapter about Sindhu and Karthik's wedding rituals, I attached this video which gives an overview of how they would have been(Andhra style); sans the cinematic part. (The couple in the video are not the people I cast as Sindhu and Karthik)

I couldn't find one with English subtitles but I hope you try watching this one because it's so cute and almost accurate.

The last chap of this story :( and probably the longest. I tried to make it a bit more romantic for you guys. I hope you enjoy this one *fingers crossed*

An image of Sindhu in her sky blue saree is also added.

---

"Why are you dull?" Karthik asked Sindhu who was gazing ahead, lost in thoughts.

She looked at him sadly "My aunt is sick. And there's no one to take care of her"

He stayed silent for a few seconds before speaking "If you want to go to her, I won't stop you"

A hopeful look crossed her face as she said "Can I go then?" he nodded with a smile "What about you? Can you stay alone?"

"I don't think I can" Seeing her sad look, he added quickly "But I can manage"

"Karthik. I won't go if you aren't comfortable---"

"Sindhu. I meant that I'd miss you. But, your aunt is more important at present. You are the only person who can help her since her daughters aren't here to take care of her" he explained patiently.

"You are right. And I'd miss you too. This is the first time we will be staying apart after your goddamn Gurgaon Project trip." She said casually, forgetting the time she ran away to Goa leaving him.

"Keep your phone with you all the time and answer my calls. You won't miss me then" He teased, reminding the time she left her phone aside and was upset at him for not calling her "So, shall I check for Goa flights then?"

"I guess" she answered with a shrug.

****

Two days before Karthik's birthday, Sindhu returned from Goa but still had no idea how to persuade him to wear the clothes she bought for him. After he went to office the next day, she went to groceries store to get everything for the big day as she invited their parents for Lunch; for the first time.

She baked a Chocolate Cake for him and kept the remaining batter she left to make a Vanilla Cake for the next day in Fridge, as he loved the last time she prepared it.

With no ideas about how to convince Karthik, she sent a message to Tulasi asking her help. Like always, she managed to ignite something in her mind and a thought struck her. It's not great but she hoped it will work.

/*To read their full conversation, go to Chapter 10 of Tulasi's story*/

She made Karthik stay up with her until midnight watching 'DDLJ'.

"Happy birthday" she yelled, placing a long hard kiss on his cheek when the clock struck 12.

"Thank you" he answered with a grin, wiping the wetness off his cheek with the back of his hand.

"I will get the cake" she said excitedly, leaving the kitchen just as he took a call from Ravi who wished him 'Happy Birthday' sleepily, followed by Swetha.

"Ta-Da" Sindhu announced, bringing the cake carefully from the kitchen.

"Wow. It looks so good. You prepared it?" he exclaimed in surprise.

"Yup. All I did was bake" she said, a little disappointed by herself but quickly fitted a smile on her face seeing his intrigued reaction.

"What happened?" he asked calmly, his forehead creasing.