CHAPTER 21 - Realizations

Karthik didn't want to go anywhere. He can't bear the thought of staying away from his wife but, he can't take her with him as Tulasi will be left alone. He really wished there is someone else to do the job but sadly there isn't.

Sindhu stayed silent while he was packing clothes and he wished he knew what's going on in her head.

Will she miss him too, just like he will? Or will she be normal since he never talks much and is not someone who is a great company to be with. May be, he could try changing for her; try to be a better person for her. That way, she would know about him and might even fall in love with him just like he did with her.

As he was packing his clothes, he noticed her staring down with a frown on her face.

"Don't tell me you love the bed sheet color now" he started a conversation.

She looked up and smiled shyly "No"

"So, what's going on? You look worried"

Sindhu wondered what to say. She can't tell him that she'd miss him so damn much; she might lose the smiles he's been giving her the past few days.

"Nothing. I was just wondering---- about Tulasi" she lied. "With you gone, she might be--- you know----- shaken up"

Karthik frowned "She will be alright. I know you'll be there for her if she needs you"

She nodded before going back to her thinking mood again.

Karthik wanted to spend as long as possible with his wife but seeing her condition, he doubted he could do that.

He heard her clear her throat and turned to her only to see her staring at him in what looked like hope "Um Karthik... Can I---um-- can I come... with you---- to the airport?"

He smiled instantly "You want to give me send off?"

"Yeah" she nodded shyly.

"Sure then. But, you know it's far.. It takes more than two hours to reach Shamshabad airport and you'd be late if--"

"It's ok. I can manage"

"How will you return? Shall I book a taxi for you?"

"How are you going?" She asked coolly.

"By my bike. I am planning to leave it at the airport since I am going alone"

"Why don't we take your car?"

"You know how to drive?" He asked, looking surprised.

She smiled "Yes, I do"

He returned her smile "Then, let's take it"

The two of them sat in the car with him driving; Karthik wished she talked something, even if it's her usual mindless ramble. He contemplated on taking her hand into his; he really wished to stay close until he left.

After an eternity, he finally gathered courage and took her hand from her lap. Closing his fingers around hers, he stared ahead steering the wheel through the heavy traffic of Hyderabad.

Sindhu was surprised when he took her hand into his, again.

Why is he doing this? Does he like me? He has to. Else, why would he do that?

Her optimistic part of mind encouraged her while the pessimist part was frowning at her thoughts saying may be he is scared of flights.

Yes!! That has to be it. She's seen scenes like that in films and may be that's what's exactly happening to him.

"Don't worry. Everything will be alright" she said awkwardly.

"What?" he asked, looking confused while removing his hand off hers to change the gear.