CHAPTER 22 - Disappointment

Please read the author's note at the end of the chap :p :p

---

It was close to 9 PM when Sindhu heard the doorbell. She opened the door excitedly only to see the two of them with tired faces.

"What happened? Why are you late?" she asked curiously.

"We were stuck in traffic jam for almost an hour. It's very annoying. I will go to sleep" Tulasi announced, leaving the room before Sindhu could say something.

"Um.. Wash your hands. Let's have dinner" she informed Karthik and was greeted with his guilty face "I am sorry Sindhu. We already had dinner"

"What do you mean? I told you I'd cook for---"

"I know. I am sorry. Tulasi said that she was hungry and I gave her company. I thought to eat little but the food at the restaurant was so good that I couldn't help it" he said slowly.

"At least have a little" she pleaded. She spent more than two hours cooking everything he liked only to be disappointed now.

"I can't. I am really tired" He said, heading to his room.

Sindhu was hurt knowing her efforts were useless. She didn't like throwing food as she is aware of the importance of it. At the place she volunteers, rice is valued since lot of effort had been made to feed hundreds of children.

Standing in the kitchen's utility, she thought about what to do with the food since she is no longer hungry. She was lost in her thoughts, when she heard Lakshmi's voice from downstairs.

She looked around and found her ahead, dragging her son while complaining about something.

"What happened?" she shouted at her.

Lakshmi checked around before looking upwards "I have been searching for him since evening mam. He left the house without a word and his dad & I were worried" And she continued ranting about how she found her son in some bachelor's home.

"Have you had food?" Sindhu interfered her rant.

"No mam. I have to cook now. I don't know what his father will say---"

"Come here. I have food" she offered.

When Lakshmi came upstairs with her son, Sindhu gave everything she prepared for her husband. She felt happy that food is not going to be wasted; at least someone's going to enjoy it.

"Since I have prepared for three adults, I think it will be sufficient for you, your husband and your two kids"

"Thanks mam. I will send the hot dishes back with my son" Lakshmi replied.

"You can bring them tomorrow" Having said that, Sindhu bid them bye and closed the door behind her.

Her room was empty making her realize Karthik is in the wash room. Lying down on the bed, she closed her eyes and tried to sleep.

When Karthik returned to his room after a shower, he found Sindhu on the bed. He switched off lights and closed the door, before walking towards the kitchen.

Once he took a water bottle from the fridge and had few sips, he switched off the lights in kitchen and was about to go back to his room when he heard the doorbell.

"What happened?" he asked Govind's son who was standing at the door step with hot dishes.

"Mother told to give these to ma'am. She cleaned them"

Karthik looked at them in suspicion "What are these?"

"Mam gave food in these" the boy replied innocently.