Chapter 6. You

"For real, move your feet. They stink," I muttered. I pushed Avery's feet off the arm of the couch, which was too close to my face.

Avery sat on one of the chairs beside the couch. Mason was sitting on the chair that was at the other end of the sofa.

"My feet don't stink, smell," he said and lifted his foot a few inches from my face.

Mason guffawed.

"Ew!" I laughed. "Knock it off, Avery!"

Avery chuckled and put his feet on the floor. We watched the movie until it was over.

"Next one," Mason said.

"Wait, I want popcorn. Do you guys want any?" I asked.

"Nope," Avery said, popping the P.

"I do," Mason said. "Grab me a Pepsi!"

"Okay!"

I heard a knock on the door as I was popping the last bag of popcorn. I sighed and started for the door.

"I got it!" Avery called.

I turned back to the microwave.

"It's for you," Avery said. His expression blank.

Before I could ask, Avery disappeared, and Chris appeared.

"Hey," Chris said.

"Hey, it's kind of late. What are you doing here?"

Chris snorted. "So, what? Avery can be here this late, but I can't?"

"That's not what I meant," I said and rolled my eyes.

"Seems like it," he said. "I was wondering if you wanted to go with me to my grandparents' anniversary party tomorrow. I know it's last minute. I was on my way home, and my mom called me."

Chris and I had plans to go to dinner and a movie tomorrow. "That's fine, I can go," I said and shrugged.

"Okay, cool. See you tomorrow."

"Bye." I took Mason's popcorn to him and sat back down on the couch with mine.

"What did he want?" Mason asked.

"He asked me to go to an anniversary party tomorrow. So, don't stay up," I warned.

Avery chuckled and gave me a knowing look.

I gave him a wink.

***

Chris seemed a bit irritated, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to know why. By the time we got to the edge of town, the curiosity was seeping out of me.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Nothing," he said.

"You're never this quiet Chris, did I do something?" I asked.

He looked over at me. The hostility in his eyes wasn't something I was used to. Chris was usually a calm person.

"He gave you a car," Chris said. "You don't think that is a little strange?"

"He didn't give it to me," I said and shook my head.

"It's a 1969 Plymouth. That car would probably sell for a lot of money," he said. "There is a reason he drives that truck instead."

"Are you really going to fight with me over a car?" I asked. "You're right. The car means a lot to him, but he knows I'll be careful with it."

"I think you should give him the car back and stay away from him," Chris snapped. "I saw you hugging him at the DMV when I was on my way home. I have seen you talk to him in school. You never used to be like that with him. You used to hate him. Something changed between you two, and I don't even think I want to know the reason. What did you have to do to get that car?"