Chapter 12. Wimp

The past two weeks, Avery and I had been busy, but we still made time for each other, it just wasn't a lot. It wasn't easy to do, considering we had to try not to be obvious to anyone, especially Mason. So far, I was doing a better job at it than Avery was. Avery would come up behind me in school and slap or squeeze my ass. I told him to stop doing it because I was worried someone would see, but we're talking about Avery, and he just doesn't listen.

Mason and Claire were going out to dinner and a movie tonight, so I was going over to Avery's for a few hours. 

I was at my locker changing books for the last class of the day, it was Friday. We didn't have practice or games this weekend. 

"Still on tonight?" Avery asked.

"Yeah," I said. "I'll be over when he leaves."

"See you," he said. He strolled down the hall to his next class.

I turned and started down the hall.

"Storm," Mason said.

"Yeah?" I asked. 

"Claire got sick last class. I'm going to go check on her then I'll be home," Mason said. 

"Claire is sick?" I raised my eyebrows in surprise. I felt bad for Claire, but I also thought how much it sucked for me. I couldn't go to Avery's if Mason was home. If Mason was home he might even wind up going to Avery's. 

"Yeah, see you at home," he said.

"Actually," I grabbed his arm.

He looked at me confused. 

"I'm staying with Peyton tonight," I said.

"Oh," he said. "I didn't know that."

"Last minute," I said and shrugged. "We got piled with homework for history so we're going to be studying all weekend and we have a test Monday." I wrinkled my nose but hid it with an itch. It wasn't a complete lie we were stacked with history homework but it wasn't anything I couldn't handle on my own.

"Oh, alright," he said and shrugged. 

"Shit," I hissed. I hurried to my last class. Luckily, I had it with Peyton and sat right behind her. Peyton was already in her seat. I sat down behind her and tapped her on the shoulder.

Peyton turned to face me, her expression confused.

"I need you to do me a favor," I said.

"Okay?" she asked.

"Let me take you home and leave my car there," I said. "Cover for me. Mason was supposed to go out tonight with Claire, but Claire got sick. Avery and I were supposed to hang out.

"So, are you going to stay with Avery?" she asked.

"Probably," I said and shrugged. 

"Really?"

"I have before," I said. "Please."

"Sure," she agreed.

The teacher started class, Peyton and I turned our attention to the front of the class. While the teacher was distracted, I pulled my phone to text Avery.

Me: We have a problem.

Avery: I'm not so sure I want to hear it.

Me: Mason is staying home tonight.

Avery: So?

Me: Mason never stays home. He's going to see if you want to hang out. I lied to Mason and told him I was staying with Peyton. I was going to leave my car at Peyton's and have you pick me up.