Chapter 9. Bend Over

"So, how did you even find out?" Avery asked.

"Susie," I said.

"Hmm, I wonder how she found out," he said. He twirled the blunt between his finger and thumb.

The sound of crickets chirped throughout the grass. Lightning bugs flew over the weeds and the lake. The moon shimmered down on the lake. Avery and I were sitting on the hood of the car with our backs against the windshield. We left the radio playing in the car.

"I'm not sure," I said. I turned my head to look at him. "She said the only reason I got in was because you put a good word in for me to Wilx."

"The only reason you didn't get in last year was because it was that old bitch Cathy and she picked favorites over talent. Our cheerleading team was shit. Maybe, it'll be better this year," he said.

"How do you know it was shit? You were too busy playing ball," I said.

"It's hard not to pay attention to them when they stand right in front of the bench that I sit on when Defense is on the field," he said and chuckled.

"Oh yeah, I didn't think about that," I said and giggled. "You just like to see their butts when they bend over," I said.

He threw his head back and laughed. "I don't date cheerleaders."

Disappointment flooded my stomach, but I forced myself to smile and roll my eyes. "That doesn't mean you don't look," I said.

"I try to stay focused on the game," he said. "That might be a little harder."

"Why?"

"What?" he asked.

"What were we talking about?" I giggled. "This stuff is awesome." I took it from him and hit it.

"It's not nearly as good as the next shit is going to be. I have to make that trip on Sunday," he said and shook his head.

"Are you bringing back a lot?" I asked.

"Yeah," he said. "At least thirty."

"Thirty, what?"

"Pounds."

"Holy shit! Seriously? Why do you need so much?" I guffawed.

He rolled his eyes. "It's a lot of people to supply."

"I wonder who will supply them when you're in Waco at Baylor?" I asked. Baylor was the college that Avery was going to. He got a full-ride as their first-string quarterback next year.

He pursed his lips and shrugged. "I'll figure it out," he said.

"I might give up my position," I said.

"What?"

"On the squad," I said. "I just don't think I can deal with Susie."

"Don't fucking let them run you off the squad, Stormie. If you want something, you have to chase it, and you know that," Avery said. He grabbed my chin and forced me to look at him. "Don't let her get her way."

"I have to see how it goes," I murmured. "Why does our skin look so weird in the moonlight?" I asked, staring down at his hand that had ahold of my face.

He laughed. "Damn, okay, you're blitzed out of your mind. We better go home," he said.

***

"Ugh!" I grunted. I threw my hands out so my hands would catch the fall instead of my face. My nose stopped an inch from the ground. Both coaches blew their whistles and said practice was over.