Chapter 20. Distractions

Stormie's POV

"Do you know what the hell they were fighting about?" Mason asked me.

"My guess is as good as yours," I lied. I had a pretty good idea of what they were fighting about. The party was at Ryder's house tonight. He managed to clean his face up and play the rest of the game; it was impressive, considering the beating he took.

"They've both been acting weird as fuck," Mason said. "Especially, Avery, like for a few months now. He didn't even come to the party. After he beat the shit out of Ryder, he went out on the field and started throwing the balls and running them like a mad man.

I laughed. "He's probably still angry at Ryder. Maybe you three need couples therapy or some shit."

He rolled his eyes. "I'm going to go find Claire."

The clock on the wall stroke midnight. Everyone danced and drank. Most of us were drunk an hour ago. I was getting to the point I had enough. My head spun as I walked to the garbage. I threw the empty bottle in it.

I had sent Avery a couple of texts and asked him where he was and that people were asking for him, but he ignored me. Earlier, I was angry at him. I told him to leave Ryder alone. It amazed me that Ryder kept his mouth shut the last three hours. The anger I felt toward Avery had disappeared. I was probably just too drunk to care.

As I walked down the hall trying to find a bathroom, a hand grabbed mine, and I was pulled into a dimly lit room. "What–" I stopped. "Ryder?"

"Can we talk?" he asked.

"About what?" I asked. 

"Look, I've known about Avery and you. I saw you two kissing at a game a couple of months ago," he said. "I wasn't going to say anything to Mason, but I really think you should. Avery went about it all wrong. It just seems like maybe he's using you. He's an all-star quarterback and was named the best quarterback in the state. We would never have made it to state three years if it wasn't for him. Avery is what makes this team so good. The team before us didn't come close to the state championship, and I bet anything that Avery will win it."

"What's your point?" I asked through gritted teeth.

"Considering who he is, I just don't think he would date a sixteen-year-old. He could have older girls or girls his age. Hell, he could probably date a fucking model if he felt like it," Ryder said. "He won't stay with you. Avery doesn't stick to one girl; everybody knows it. On the other hand, I genuinely like you, and I wouldn't hurt you. I wouldn't hide you from your brother or anyone. Why would you want to date someone who doesn't want anyone knowing about you? It's like he's ashamed of you or something." Ryder swept the back of his fingers across my cheek and stared into my eyes.

I shoved him back, and he staggered. I gritted my teeth and narrowed my eyes. "God, you are so fucking stupid. Do you know what's funny? I almost felt a little sorry about your face getting mangled. I'm guessing you provoked him, didn't you? I told him what you said, and he wanted to kill you. However, he managed to make it all week and half of that game without hitting you; then suddenly, he is beating the shit out of you. The thing is, it's not Avery who wants to hide it; it's me," I said. I turned around and sprinted out of the bedroom. 

Several people asked me what was wrong as I made my way to the front door. I was several miles from home, and I was too drunk to walk that far. I pulled my phone out and called the only person I could. 

"Hello?" Avery asked.

"Come–"

"I'm not coming to the stupid party," he said.