Chapter 8. You Smell Like Pepperoni

Five new cheerleaders were being added to the squad today. It had been a week since tryouts. I had barely seen or heard from Avery. Avery and Mason were together at least five out of the seven days in a week. Mason asked me several times last week if I knew what was with him.

Of course, I lied. I was amazed that I got away with lying because Avery told me I sucked at it. Maybe, it's just Avery that realized I wrinkled my nose when I lied. Yeah, right, as if he pays that much attention to you. I twirled my hair around with a pencil.

It was impossible to pay attention to the Biology teacher. It was the last class of the day. After this class, I had to go to the gym to find out if I got into the cheer squad. From the smug look on Susie and her posses' faces, I doubted it. They had been staring at me and whispering all day. It was obvious that their conversation was about me.

The final bell rang and sent, sending out of the room. Not only was I in a hurry to find out if I made the team, but also in a hurry to get away from Susie's constant shit-eating grin. The gym was mostly still empty. I sat down on one of the bleachers to wait along with two other girls.

"Yo, Prince, catch!" Someone yelled.

My head snapped up.

Two senior football players were at the far end of the gym. I looked over to the left toward the doors just in time to see Avery catch a football. Avery threw it up in the air and caught it over and over again with a smirk.

I couldn't stop the small smile that spread across my lips. I shook my head, trying to shake away the thoughts of the last time I spoke to Avery. It was like I was under a spell. The past week I tried to think of reasons as to why he would try to kiss me.

"Good luck." His voice startled me. I wasn't expecting him to speak to me. My gaze caught his as he was walking past me. He gave me a small encouraging smile.

"Thanks," I murmured. I had a sudden feeling that someone was staring at me. My eyes locked with the two girls just a few feet away sitting on the bleachers. They were both looking at me in irritation.

"Throw it!" One of the football players yelled, pulling me from my trance.

Avery raised his arm and threw the ball across the gym toward the boys. The ball moved with blinding speed as it spun in the air. Avery never had to put much effort into throwing a ball or anything because he was good at everything, which is why he was the most popular boy in the county.

The girls were now staring after Avery smiling, giggling, and whispering.

Avery sprinted across the gym toward the boys that were now standing near the back door.

"Damn, bro, I think the ball broke my finger," The football player whined.

"Don't ever try being a wide receiver, Rhett," Avery said and chuckled.

A giggle escaped me, and I shook my head.

The girls started filing into the gym. At least thirty-five girls tried out, and only five of them would get to be on the squad. I'll never get into college for dance if I can't even get on a stupid cheerleading team.

The coach came out of the locker room at the far end of the gym with the cheerleaders. Susie's gaze caught mine. She flipped her hair over her shoulder and looked away.

Mrs. Wilx was the coach for the cheerleaders. She was a cheerleader from this high school and went to college. She was only twenty-six years old. Most of the boys fuss over how beautiful she is.

"Hello, ladies," Mrs. Wilx said and smiled. "We had great tryouts, but as all of you know, there will only be five picked. There are so many of you that are great, and I want to wish you the best for next year. We don't want you to be discouraged or think you're not good enough."