Chapter 28. Stubborn

Stormie's POV

"Well, it's been five minutes," the tech lady said impatiently. "Do you want to get started?"

"Yeah, sorry. I just thought he would be here. It was my mistake," I said. I laid down on the bed and pulled my shirt up. I didn't want to do this on my own, but my mother had to work. Mason had plans with Claire before the appointment was made, and Dad had to work too.

Avery was supposed to meet me here if he wanted to come. He clearly didn't want much to do with the baby if he couldn't be with me. He hadn't even tried to speak to me after I found him and Susie in bed.

The lady squirted the gel onto my beach ball size stomach. "Are you excited?" she asked.

"Yes," I said.

"You must be scared. You're only seventeen. How come your parents didn't come?"

"They had to work. It's okay. I'm not scared," I lied.

"You're very brave," she said. "Twins, huh?" she asked, looking over the screen.

"Yeah," I said. 

"Well, Twin A looks like a–"

Someone knocked on the door. 

The tech and I looked at the door, surprised.

A nurse popped her head in. "Um, the dad is here?" 

"You can let him in," I said quickly. 

Avery squeezed past the nurse. "Thanks," he said politely to her.

"No problem," she said and closed the door.

"Sorry," Avery apologized. "I got stuck at work." He had on a white muscle shirt and blue jeans. His shirt and hands were still full of grease.

"It's okay," I told him.

"Okay," the tech said. "You made it just in time, Dad," she said to Avery. "Twin A is a boy, and twin B is a girl."

"Wow," I breathed.

"Holy shit," Avery said.

I glanced at him and gave him a 'really' look.

He cleared his throat. "Sorry. You're so tiny it is hard to believe two can fit in there."

The tech laughed. "They're still small, and they will be born small."

"How small?" Avery asked.

"Well, it is always different. However, the average size of twins is five and a half pounds," she said. 

"Damn, that's it?" Avery raised his eyebrows. "Will they be okay?"

"Avery," I warned. I facepalmed.

"Sorry," he muttered.

"They'll be fine, I'm sure. You're doing great so far," the tech said to me.

"Thanks," I said.

Avery stayed for the entire ultrasound. The tech lady printed off separate ultrasound photos for us.