Chapter 13. Mommy For A Day

There was a sizzling sound coming from the kitchen. The smell of eggs, bacon, and cinnamon filled the air. What was strange was that I wasn't the one making the house smell that way. Nobody in this house ever cooked but me. 

"Mom, what are you doing?" I asked, confused. 

The curtains were pushed back, and the windows were open. Smoke from the bacon frying on the stove rolled out the window. The sun lit up the entire kitchen. Mom stood over the stove, making breakfast. 

"Making Mason and your breakfast, is that okay?" Mom turned her head to look back at me.

My bookbag slipped off my shoulder, and I sat down at the table. "Mason is at Avery's house. He stayed there last night," I explained.

"Well, you and I can have a nice breakfast then," she said.

"Actually, I'm running late," I said in an uninterested tone. I stood and headed for the door.

"Stormie Lynn, please," Mom called for me.

I spun around to face her. "Playing mommy for a day, are you? It's a bit late to start pretending to be a good parent, don't you think? I don't know what got into you, and I'm sure it won't last. I refuse to set myself up for disappointment," I said sharply. 

The venom in my voice made my mother flinch. "W-what on earth got into you? Are you on drugs?" Mom asked worriedly. "Baby, I just want to know you two are okay. I know that I haven't been around much lately, but that is going to change."

"Oh?" I tilted my head. It clicked like the last piece of a puzzle. "Oh," I said with a suspicious realization. "He dumped you, didn't he? Was it because of us? Don't waste your time on us, Mom, we're fine. We've made it a long time without you or Dad. Go out and get yourself a new boyfriend, Mom. I'm sure he'll make it all better again," I said sweetly. I narrowed my eyes at her for a moment.

Her expression was heartbroken, but I had a hard time believing it was real. My mother was good at faking things. She faked being friends with women she hated. She pretended to have a good marriage and fooled everyone. She pretended not to be an alcoholic, and she pretended to be a good mother. Everything about my mother was fake. She should have pursued a career in acting. She would have been great, no doubt.

I climbed into my car, I turned the key, but the car didn't start. "What the hell?" I turned the key again, impatiently. It cranked but wouldn't start. "Fuck!" I yelled and slammed my hands down on the steering wheel in frustration. I grabbed my bag and dashed across the yard. There's no way I'm getting a ride from Mom. I jumped the fence that divided Avery's yard and mine.

Mason climbed into the truck and shut the door. Avery hadn't made it to the truck yet. I sprinted across the yard.

"Avery!" I shouted. 

Avery turned around and saw me. He watched me with a mixture of confusion and surprise. He spun the keys around on his finger and looked back at Mason. He shrugged and turned back around. He walked across the yard toward me.

I slowed down to a walk. My lungs burned from the running and anxiety of the already crappy morning. I was sure today wouldn't be my day. 

Avery sprinted across the yard to where I was, closing the distance between us quicker than I could. "What's wrong, Storm?" he asked worriedly.

"The car won't start, and I don't want to get a ride with Mom. Can I get a ride with you?" I asked.

"Yeah, of course," he said. "What happened? You look upset."