one and a half years later

About one and a half years after I proposed to Louis and a year after our wedding, I bring it up for the first time. I’ve been thinking about if for at least six months now.

Louis climbs into bed carefully and kisses my cheek, not wanting to wake me up after he finished work quite late and I already went to bed without him.

“Still awake”, I mumble and pull him in for a longer kiss.

“What kept you awake so long, sweetheart?”, Louis asks and tugs the blanket over both of us before resting his head on my chest.

“Was just thinking.”

“About?”

I’m not sure if he can hear my heart beating in my chest as hard as I feel it while I try to formulate my sentence.

“Having another child”, I blurt out and try not to look at him because I don’t want to see his reaction.

He looks up at me with a surprised smile on his face and kisses my jawline carefully. “You’d want that?”

I roll my eyes. “That’s why I suggested it”, I say.

“Don’t snap at me like that, baby”, Louis says and moves away just to bump his fist into my shoulder softly. It didn’t hurt at all but I can’t resist the urge to rub my upper arm dramatically anyways.

“I was being serious, Louis. I’d like another child.”

“Well then”, he continues and takes his shirt of, climbing on top of me, “We shall try for one.”

“Fuck off”, I say and push him away with an annoyed smile on my face.

“I’m just joking, honey.”

“Yes, obviously you are, thank you for the explanation.”

He laughs loudly and kisses me softly. “In all seriousness though, I’d like that too, my love. A lot, even.”

I smile at him happily. “What do you think that Jonah would say?”

He shrugs and thinks about it while putting his shirt on again, snuggling closer. “We’d have to ask, obviously, but I think he’d like it.”

We talk a lot that night, letting ourselves dream about what it would be like and when we fall asleep, there’s a happy smile on my face.

***

It takes another month of talking and planning before we decide to have a conversation about it with Jonah.

“Baby”, Louis says when we enter the living room and sits down next to Jonah who’s watching beauty and the beast on the TV, “Pause that for a second, will you?”

Jonah nods and takes the remote to press pause and looks at us sitting down next to him. He pats Theo who’s laying on his lap carefully. “Wanna watch with me?” he asks.

“Later, yes. We wanted to hear your opinion on something important first.”

“Should I give advice about rings and wedding suits again?”

Louis laughs and shakes his head. “So, me and Harry thought about something a lot those days. We wanted to ask you what you’d think about having a sibling.”

Jonah looks at Louis first, then looks over at me and at Louis again. “You can’t make a baby.”

I nod. “Yes, that’s true, J. We’d have a woman carry the baby for us.”

He raises an eyebrow and scrunches his nose. “So you don’t love each other anymore?”

Louis and I both quickly shake our head and he lets out a relieved sigh. “Why’d you think that?”

“’Cause normally you only have a baby with someone you love.”

“Okay, makes sense”, Louis says and strokes a loose strand of hair out of Jonah’s forehead, “Listen, baby, it’ll still be mine and Harry’s baby, it’s just that we can’t carry the baby. That won’t change anything about us loving each other. I’ll explain it to you more precisely if you want me to but we need your opinion on it first. If you completely despise the idea, we need to rethink this.”

“’Kay”, Jonah says.

“You can think about it first if you need time.”

We were sure we wanted Jonah’s opinion on this too. He is already eight after all so this won’t be easy for him, not being the only one we have to care about anymore. We were just really, really hoping, he wouldn’t say no because that’d leave us in quite the moral quandary.

“Would you still love me as much?”, he asks and we both nod eagerly.

“Of course”, we say at the same time.

“You too?”, Jonah asks, turning to me.

“Baby”, I say, “Of course, why would you think otherwise, sweetie?”

“’Cause the sibling will be yours and I’m not”, he mumbles, staring at the pillow next to him.

“Oh, honey, come here”, I say, lifting him up and pulling him into a hug so his head is pressed against my chest. “What are you talking about, baby, you are mine. Of course you are. You’re my most favourite, my son, my everything. I love you more than anything. You’re my boy, J, nothing will ever change that.”

“And if it’ll be another boy?”, he asks, moving away so he can wipe the tears from his eyes.

“Then you will both be my boys. But you’ll be my older one. You’ll be so much cooler because you won’t cry all the time and you can tell me cool cat facts and hold my hand when I get scared of the beast.”

“Now you’re being silly”, he says, a small smile on his lips, “You’re never scared for real.”

I laugh and kiss is cheek and he wraps his tiny arms around my neck. “Don’t ever think you’re not mine again”, I whisper, “My big, smart boy.”

“I love you, Papa.”

“And I love you, J. So much.”

“I’m feeling left out”, Louis says and I think I can see him wipe a tear from his eyes, “Group hug please?”

He wraps his arms around both me and Jonah and I smile broadly.

“I’d quite like a sibling, then”, Jonah says after a while and I can feel Louis relaxing in the hug, “I’d teach the baby all the cool cat facts.”

“Bet you’d be the best big brother”, I say.

***

hiiiiii,

I'm back ahhhh

it's past midnight and tomorrow is my first day of school but I got the sudden urge to continue this story so here we are

I hope you liked it and that I didn't make too many mistakes considering I'm really tired<3