Chapter 14: "Be romantic dumbass!"

"You look like crap." Sara said plopping the the 'p' loudly.

"Thanks, that means a lot to me. You should be a nurse you know? You have great bed side manner." I said sarcastically as I put the bag of peas that she had given me over my eye.

"No, I don't like people." Sara said taking a big bite out of her apple. "So are you going to tell me what happened?"

"No." I said curtly. To be honest I don't know why I was here. I didn't know Sara all that well and Will was literally half a mile away from her house, so I don't know why I didn't go there instead. Will's family would have welcomed me with open arms, offered me a bed and food. Sara was here with her sister while her father was at his bacheler party; she was alone basically. Just how I felt.

Sara had been more ashtonished then I was when she saw me and let me in. She didn't ask any questions until now. I think she was wondering what to say about my beaten appearence. I couldn't stay home, but I wasn't sure why I had come here. Sara didn't mean anything to me, so why did I come? I couldn't have wanted to tell someone what happened.

"Jace, you came to me. Why? I don't know, but you came here bloody and beaten to a goddamn pulp! I want to know why." 

"I can't tell you."

"You can't or you won't?" Sara questioned smartly. "Will is coming over soon, so anything you don't want him to know you have to tell me now."

"Why is he coming?"

"He's your friend Jace. I don't know why you're here, but it's clear that you need someone and sadly that is me. Which means whatever you want to tell me isn't good news." 

My head snapped up, how did she know that? "What makes you think that?"

Sara lifted her eye brow and made a face that reminded me of toothless the dragon from How to Train your Dragon. It was a face that I thought only an animated dragon could pull off that says, 'seriously, you're kidding right?'. I watched as she let out a sigh and slouched into the chair as if she was bored and tired.

I hadn't even thought of the time when I rang her door bell, it must be late. She was in pajama pants and an oversized tshirt with glasses on. I didn't even know she worse glasses, she must wear contacts during the day, otherwise I would have noticed that. She looked different with the glasses on, somehow more professional and stern, but not as pretty.

"I don't know what to say."

"The truth would be nice." Sara said curtly taking a sip of the hot chocolate she had made while I sat here earlier.

"No." I said shaking my head. I couldn't tell her the truth, I just couldn't. It wouldn't do me any good to admit it now.

"Jace, you're running out of time to tell me in confidence! I'll be the only one to know."

"No you won't. You tell Will everything!"

"I won't tell him if you ask me not to! What's wrong?"

I didn't answer. 

"Why did you come to me?" 

I didn't answer. I just looked at her and raised an eyebrow, let her make her own theories.

"You came to me to tell me news that you couldn't share with Nate or Will. That means it's something important, something your afraid to say. So you go to the one person that you've made fun of for six months because I didn't want to talk. It's something that is twisted, dark and something you've been hiding from for a long time. You came to me because you thought I would understand! You're running out of time to tell me!" Sara said through a choking voice as she tried to control her emotions.