Chapter 25: "They'll be in bed together."

Needless to say my ego had been shot after Ali said that she didn’t know if she wanted to be my girlfriend. Although, I had done my best to understand and make her forget about it, I still felt like crap. I had just put myself out there for this girl and she didn’t know what to say. That’s got to be illegal or something, at least a misdemeanor.

“I’m sorry Jace.” Ali apologized for the thousandth time since we had come back from spring break.

“Don’t worry about it. I don’t mind waiting for you to know for sure.” I said honestly as I walked her to class.

“Really?”

“Yes really, Ali. I don’t mind waiting.”

“Thanks Jace, I have a free block if you want to do something.” Ali said hopefully. I smiled, happy that she wanted to spend time with me. I really felt that she was opening up to me and that made me feel great.

“I would love to, but I really got to work on some things before June comes around.” I said realizing just how much time I had left in high school. I had been accepted into James Madison University, about three hours away from home and away from my girlfriend, even if she wasn’t ready to say she wanted to be my girlfriend.

I was taken to everyone, including myself. Other girls came onto me and I pushed them away because I already had a girl and she was something special. Too bad for me I still had relationships to fix with her friends. I had a feeling that’s what is holding her back form making her choice, so I had to fix that. I wanted us to be official before I left for college.

Sara would be going to college with me as well as Will, who I’m pretty sure was just following Sara. Although, he claimed it was because of the ROTC program they had because they ranked top five for multiple years or something. Taylor was going to an all girl school so Nate found a school about half an hour away from her that he wanted to go to.

Ali had another year of high school and even if she didn’t follow me like Will was doing for Sara, I would still try my hardest to keep us together. I felt something really special with her and I didn’t want to let that go.

I turned the corner of the hallway to see Sara rummaging through her locker in a gray baggy outfit. Taylor was standing next to her, talking about something called the “Dying Game”. Whatever that is, it didn’t sound like a game I wanted to play. As I got closer they started talking about “Bad Publicity” for a Senator Phillips that I’d never heard of.

“What are you talking about?” I asked interrupting Taylor mid-speech.

“We are talking about books we write together on a website.” Taylor said with a soft smile.

“Don’t tell him that! He’ll start following us on it.” Sara said as she slammed the locker shut.

“Where you going bag lady?” I asked pulling on her baggy pants.

“I’m going back to Animal Science so I can finish grooming the dog I was working on.” Sara said curtly as she waved good-bye to Taylor and walked off.

“She hates me.” I said with a sigh.

“Yeah, she does, but if you fix it sooner rather than later it should be fine.” Taylor said hopefully.

“Is this the reason Ali won’t be my girlfriend?” I asked honestly, letting the only insecurity I had lay out on the table.

“One reason, the other is she doesn’t like your reputation. Although, you’ve been proving her wrong lately, she no long thinks you’re untrustworthy. That’s progress.” Taylor said with a smile as she turned on a heel and walked off. I watched her go and then followed after Sara. Maybe if I just talked to her than we could work something out.