The Night with Him

He had told me.

Before Rachel...he would spend his days with the Betas all the time. Mostly with Jason and Daren though...they would get hot stinking drunk and check out girls. Usual boy things, but at school...they all would hang out. He told me stories that made me laugh...and things that made me cry. They were tighter than siblings. It was as if someone had took a red thread and tied all five of them together. They...grew up with each other...they knew each other like the back of their hands and no one thought they could be broken apart. Then one day...everything changed. He told me he had no idea what he was thinking that day. Maybe there was something in the air or maybe he was just desperate, he couldn't remember. He didn't know why he started taking an interest in Rachel. He thought she was stunning...they knew she was trouble.

They were right. Before she even got her hooks into him she began to rage war within their tight string. She spat lies and rumors, tearing them apart as she took pleasure in cutting their ties. And soon...Ky had left the equation. He knew...that she wouldn't stop if he didn't leave them...he knew they would end up hating him. And he couldn't bare it.

"And that's what happened." He said broken. I was sitting next to him on a giant cold stone rock, carved perfectly for sitting. The last rays of the sun shining upon his face. Looking upon his hurt facade. "And that's why I lied about you." He continued, twisting a strand of grass in his hands. "To protect you for she...will tear you away from me...just like she did with them." He threw the grass out of his hands and over the edge of the cliff. He...doesn't want me to be teared away...from him? Shaking the thought out of my mind I looked at him.

"You know..." he kept looking at the falling sun. "...they don't hate you. They miss you a lot Ky. They still worry about you...they want you back."

His face dropped into his hands. Ashamed and in pain. "I could never show my face to them. I screwed up too much." His voice was barely a whisper...broken. It broke my heart to see him this way, it broke it right in two.

"Ky..." I cooed. He didn't answer. "Ky," I reached for his wrist. My hands wrapping around them as I began to pull them slowly down.

"No!" He said, keeping his hands glued to his face.

"Ky look at me." I tried to move his hands again, but they wouldn't budge.

He shook his head.

"Look at me!" I demanded and this time...his hands fell willingly. His eyes were hollow and dull, life less. This...was the second time I saw Ky's eyes like this. But this time...he was letting me see them openly. No amount of jackassness could hide this, no amount can cover his sore heart.

"You shouldn't be ashamed," I reassured him. Looking at him with pleading eyes, his broken ones stabbing daggers into me. "The betas...they miss their Alpha. You're like a big brother to them, you're their friend and they could never hate you. No matter how many times Rachel twist the knife she stabbed in their back. No matter how many lies she told or rumors that were spoken. They miss you, they watch after you. They just wish you dump Rachel and come back. They hate Rachel, but they don't hate you! Please Ky...come back to them. Come back to being yourself."

There was a long pause as night was upon us. The cold air brushed against my skin as his eyes seemed to get a little light back into them. Light that made me hope, that made me believe that he believed me. His lips were a tight thin line as his hand reached out for me. Landing on my cheek as he held it, his hand soft as if I was a delicate rose that he didn't want to snap. He opened his lips to say something, but stopped and sighed. He didn't believe me.

"Every fiber in my body is telling me to believe you. And I do believe, I know what you say is true. But...I can't go back, not after what I've done. I can never go back."