22 Days of January

*Play Song*

To say we weren't scared would be a lie. We were terrified.

     It was hard getting up that morning, a pit in our stomachs as we could feel the weight on our shoulders. Suiting up in clothing that was easy to move in, two black trench coats adorning mine and Ky's shoulders. He had grabbed my face before we walked out his bedroom door, kissing me desperately as I could feel the fear leap from him and into me. He was gaining reassurance as his mouth moved against mine, taking one last taste of my tongue before pulling away. Muttering "I love you" between panting breaths as his forehead pressed hard against mine. "I love you too," I whispered and he smiled. He was reluctant to open the door, placing a kiss on my forehead before taking a deep breath. A nod of the head, a grasp of the hand, and the door opened with the familiar click.

     They heard this speech a thousand times before. Standing before them as me and the betas stood at Ky's side while he spoke. Hands behind backs to hide their fidgeting, our nerves. We looked at their faces, peering over a sea of vampires and werewolves who finally learned how to fight as a unit. It's been a long couple of months, it wasn't easy, it's never easy especially when one is training werwolves and vampires how to fight together. Let alone get along. But now here we stand, a family who would put their lives on the line for each other. I listened as Ky finished the speech for the a thousandth and one time.  

"We can't promise that all of you will come back home. We can't even assure that you won't be injured or disabled. There are no prizes. No awards or medals. All I can promise you is that when you fight today you fight for your freedom, for your future, and," He grabbed my hand, peering down at our clasped fingers before looking back at the crowd. "Our future. If that is not a good enough reason for you to fight then this is your chance to leave. No one will judge you, I will not force you into a fight you have no motivation for. This is your last chance."

Nobody moved. Not even a flinch.

"You all completely sure? There is no turning back from here."

Still as statues.      

"Very well then."

     It's time. We shifted, signaling the rest of the werewolves to shift as well, massive bear sized wolves of different shades standing amongst a crowd of human like creatures. The vampires immediately smiled at our form, some trying to resist the urge to pet while other's ask for permission. I saw Amber give a kiss to Sebastian's soft furry cheek. I smiled before remembering what this was all for. Ky threw his head back to the sky and howled, the rest following in response as we began to move forward. The crowd parting like the Red Sea as me and Ky walked side by side, the betas following behind and the rest falling in formation when we passed them. Our heads held high as we broke through the tree line, leading a line of werewolves and vampires itching for a fight. This was it. 

     The forest was eerily quiet today. Not an animal to be seen or a chirp to be heard. It felt agitated, tense, as if it knew, it always knew. We didn't make a sound as we walked through trees and brooks. Not even trying the occasional muttering of words. The soft crunch of feet against snow was the only thing we dared to produce, afraid that if we were any louder the forest would explode with anger.  I looked at Ky, his jaw clenched tight as all his muscles were stiff, the most unpleasant look on his face. I nudged him, licking his cheek in hopes it would relax him, it only worked for a second. We were already here.   

     We paused before stepping out onto the vast snow covered meadow. Giant dark trees filled with darkness covering all angles as our breaths created a fog that dissipated after every breath. We stopped halfway across the field, our small army fanning out behind us as we took the front line. Feeling our hearts pound out of our chest as we tried our best to calm our breath, standing tall with our heads held high. We waited. And then...our ears twitched with the growing sound of running. Fast, inhuman running. We held our ground as the running got louder and closer, honing in on us as a few wolves behind us lowered their heads and bared their canines. A low growl erupting over the snow. The vampires crouched by their sides, ready to attack as they flashed their fangs and hissed. I took a step closer to Ky as they were nearly upon us, practically at the tree line.