Christmas Bell

The smell of sugar plums and gingerbread filled the air as a small orchestra rose in the distance. The familiar hum of Christmas melodies and chords igniting my ears as we walked arm in arm. Heels clicking against tile as we moved under the golden hue of chandeliers and white bark arches wrapped in lights. Three foot Christmas trees lining the hall as their red and gold bulbs popped like berries in the snow. Him in a traditional black tux paired with a crimson tie while I sported the red dress and heels that his mother gave me as a Christmas gift this morning. A translucent top whose mesh held rich red vines and poinsettias that covered my breast and shoulders before crawling down my arms. Giving the dress a V outline while the skirt was a solid tulle that draped my body in the shape of a slim ball gown. Hair tied in a bun as a few loose strands brush against cherry lips, his gift of golden and diamond accentuating my neck and ears.

"Nervous?" He whispers in my ear, clutching the hand that lays in the crease of his elbow.

A smile tugs at my lips, "Never. You?"

"A little." I can see him swallow hard. Eyes on the double doors that stand in front of us. I know what he's thinking about, the last time we were here I was kidnapped by Dante's men. It was so quick...I was only out of his sight for a second. The tightening of his hand on mine brings me out of my thoughts. "Stay next to me at all times. Don't leave my side for a second."

I look at him, "Ky-"

"Not even for a second. Please." He begs, unable to look at me as his eyes are just plastered to the doors. My heart stills, my hand reaches for his face, turning it to look at me. His eyes are mixed with so many different emotions which makes me want to say so many different things. But I say nothing. I take a deep breath and exhaled with a sigh before pulling his head down. Placing his forehead against mine as my fingers gently stroke the back of his neck. Soft.

"Okay. I promise." Giving in.

"Thank you kitten." He sounds relieved, giving my lips a quick peck of gratitude. We smile and without a second thought, he reaches for the door.

     The Christmas Bell is a tradition that ties back all the way to the first werewolves. A ball that not only celebrates Christmas but serves as a reunion between the packs. A chance to catch up after the long year and an opportunity to find a mate which is very likely in these type of settings. A time to be merry and, well, a little naughty.
And it looks like we have let a few vampires attend this year, I thought with a smile as I saw Sebastian and Amber dancing off in the distance. She looked so beautiful in that emerald green dress. We were greeted in the usual way as we meandered through the ballroom. The casual "Merry Christmas" and "Can't wait to see you guys in training next week" breaking my state of awe for the decorations. I always loved Christmas, everything just looked so beautiful on this day. So vibrant and warm, it felt like a bear hug despite the blistering cold outside. The lights held a gold hue that was comforting as a giant chandelier hung from the ceiling while a massive pine tree dressed to the nines stood at the head of the room. Shining vibrantly as it contrasted so drastically to the dark winter night that could be seen by three giant windows that guarded the tree from behind.
Ky was busy talking to one of his old football friends as I was lost in the ceiling. Watching how the red and green ribbons danced in swoops across the marble roof, the white ribbon not far behind. I felt Ky's hand at my waist, breaking me out of my daze as he pulled me against his side. I didn't notice that the football friend had left as Ky now looked down at me with a smirk.

"I'm sorry for boring you Kitten," he said as he leaned in. Giving my ear a quick peck as his hand held my chin.

I flushed. "Oh no you weren't boring me!"

"Then why were you dozing off at the ceiling?"

My body tensed. "I was um..." I was embarrassed, my cheeks berry red as I scratched my cheek with my finger nervously. Should I really tell him?