Chapter 43

"You sure you want to do this now?" Marshall asked, giving Everest a cuddle. It had been two weeks since she discovered she was pregnant and she had made the decision that she couldn't get rid of her and Marshall's baby. She just couldn't. So today was the day that they were braving it and telling their parents. Everest had a bad feeling about how hers would react but they had to respect her choice.

Right?

The pair walked down the stairs from Marshall's room and into his kitchen where both sets of parents sat talking at the table. They smiled as they saw Marshall and Everest appear.

"Hey kids." Everest's mother smiled.

"What did you want to talk to us about?" Marshall's father asked. The two teens looked at each other and took a deep breath, sitting at the table.

"Well...we have something to tell you." Marshall started.

"And before you argue with the decision, Marshall left it ultimately up to me so I'm sure of my choice. Not saying that it wasn't a joint thing I mean we did discuss it but," Everest panicked a little. Marshall squeezed her hand and she smiled gratefully.

"What we're trying to say is... Everest is pregnant."

"And we're keeping it."

Marshall looked down at the table along with his girlfriend who was holding her breath, awaiting a response. Marshall felt a hand squeeze his free one and looked up to see his mother smiling at him.

"If you're sure of your choice, then I respect that and we'll support you two no matter what." She smiled, Marshall's father was behind her nodding.

"Thanks mum." Marshall whispered. Everest smiled and looked at her own parents who were sporting the opposite expressions to her boyfriend's.

"Mum? Dad?" Everest whispered. The two adults stood up and walked to the door, not uttering a word. "Mum?" Everest tried again.

"Don't come home Everest." She returned simply, not a hint of regret in her voice.

"But-but-"

There was the slam of the door and they were gone. The auburn haired girl sat silently staring into space, allowing her brain to process what had just happened before she broke down. Her husky, Evie, sat at her feet whimpering as she looked up at her owner. Marshall's Dalmatian, Maxie, did the same. Marshall pulled her into him and gently rocked her back and forth.

"Shhh. You're ok Ev. I'm here." Marshall soothed

"Where am I supposed to go now?" Everest sobbed into his chest.

"Here Everest. You stay here." His father said firmly.

"R-really?"

"Yes Everest. Really. You and Evie can stay here."

"Thank you Fiona. Thanks Brian." She smiled, staying in Marshall's embrace. The remaining adults smiled before offering to walk the dogs, leaving Marshall and Everest to have a moment to themselves.

Everest rested her head on Marshall's shoulder, still sniffing slightly.

"It'll be ok." He stroked her head.

"I- I just can't believe it, they just left me like that."

"I know. I can't believe it either. They'll come round, they have to."

"You think?"

"Well with a mother like you, our baby will be beautiful and they won't be able to resist."

Everest smiled. "You know how to make me feel better." She gave a long yawn and leaned into her boyfriend more.

"Sleepy?"

"Not really."

"Lies. Come on." Marshall picked Ev up bridal style and carried her up the stairs.

"My room or spare room?"

"Bit late for that question isn't it?"

Marshall chuckled. "My room, I mean - our room - it is then." Within minutes, Everest had fallen asleep under the red covers. Marshall watched her and smiled, stroking her hairline with his thumb. He leaned down and kissed her forehead before standing up and going down to the kitchen and make himself a cup of coffee.

As he put the kettle back, the door opened and his parents walked back into the house with the two canines in tow. His mother headed straight towards the living room while his father joined the boy in the kitchen.

"Ev okay?"

"Yeah. She was tired so I put her to bed." Marshall smiled to himself. The pair stayed silent until Marshall spoke up again. "I'm sorry dad."

"Pardon?"

"I'm sorry. I should have been more careful."

"Marsh you don't need to be sorry. I'm not disappointed or anything. In an odd sense, I really quite proud of you."

Marshall looked up from his mug. "You what?"

"It takes guts to do what you did; you let Everest decide what to do and stuck by her regardless. You're both only sixteen and yes, we didn't expect this to happen yet but like your mother said, were here for you." Marshall smiled, he wasn't used to having these kind of talks with his father to be perfectly honest. "Besides, you're gonna need some help fixing up the spare room into a nursery. Even if I was upset with you it wouldn't last long." The older black haired man chuckled.

"Thanks dad. Really."

"Anytime."