Chapter 53

Marshall watched Everest who was cradling Savannah in her arms. The auburn haired girl smiled down at their daughter as she looked up with inquisitive eyes that sparkled like sapphires.

"What's the time?" Everest asked without turning her head. Marshall looked at his alarm clock.

"Nine thirty." He replied.

"I think that this little girl needs a bottle and then it's time for bed." She looked at the baby in her arms who let out a little yawn.

"I'll do it." Marshall stood up and was just about to leave the room when his girlfriend stopped him.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"Yes there is. You're eager to do anything but hold our daughter."

It was true, Marshall hadn't yet held Savannah in his arms. If an opportunity to do something other than that came up, he took it. Marshall stared at his feet.

"I know you're hurting because Toby isn't here." Ev began, a slight catch in her throat. "But I'm hurting too. We have to accept what happened and what is gonna be." Marshall still didn't speak. "You can't avoid your daughter Marshy."

The boy looked up and met Everest's gaze. She nodded, motioning for him to sit down next to her. He did as he was asked. When he had sat down, Everest gently moved Savannah from her arms to Marshall's, helping him hold her right.

She watched as her boyfriend looked down at the half asleep baby and smiled. Marshall was holding his breath out of worry. He didn't want to screw up.

"Marsh." Everest placed a hand on his shoulder. He looked up. "Breathe. You're fine." She smiled. The boy nodded and Everest left the room and went to the kitchen.

Everest heard murmurs as she walked back up the stairs with Marshall's mother behind her. They exchanged a puzzled look and quietly made their way to the door to listen.

"You're gonna be just as beautiful as your mama you know?" They heard the boy whisper to his daughter. The pair exchanged a smile and just before she opened the door, Everest was embraced in a motherly hug from Fiona.

"Thank you Everest. I don't know how Marshall would have coped without you."

"No problem." Everest smiled, returning the hug.

The two let go and walked into their respective rooms. Marshall hadn't noticed his girlfriend enter and carried on watching Savannah who was laying on his chest as he lay back and burying her face in his shirt.

"See? You had nothing to worry about." Everest whispered. Marshall turned and smiled at his girlfriend, carefully picking up the baby again and sitting up.

Everest sat behind him with her chin resting on his shoulder, watching as their daughter drank and fell asleep. The two walked into the nursery and settled her in her cot, turned on the baby monitor and silently closed the door as they left. Everest, already in her pyjamas, lay in her side of the bed and waited as Marshall got himself ready for bed and climbed in beside her, pulling her closer like every night. The black haired boy thought about his next question before asking,

"Heard anything from your parents?"

Everest sighed. "Nope. Oh well they disowned me when they found out. They clearly want nothing to do with me anymore."

"Their loss." Marshall said, kissing her neck, making her relax a little.

"Love you Marshall."

"Love you too Everest."