Chapter 8 (Year 2)

River's POV-

"Welcome to Greenhouse Three, Second Years. Today, we will be re-potting Mandrakes. Now, who here can tell me the properties of the Mandrake? Yes, Miss Granger." Professor Sprout said, walking inside the greenhouse.

"Mandrake, or Mandragora, is used to return those who have been transfigured to their original state. It's also quite dangerous. The Mandrake's cry is fatal to anyone who hears it." Granger said,

"Excellent. Ten points to Gryffindor. As our Mandrakes are only seedlings, their cries won't kill yet. However, they will knock you out for several hours. That is why I have provided each of you with a pair of earmuffs. If you would then..." She said, gesturing at the ear plugs all around the room. We put them in as she grips the top of the plant, she pulls it out, and instead of roots, an extremely ugly baby pops out. I cringe as it starts to scream. She puts it in the pot and covers it quickly with some dirt, as Longbottom passes out.

"Hm, looks like someone ignored his earmuffs."

"No, he's got them in, he's just shocked," a Gryffindor said, after checking on him.

"Very well. We'll just leave him then. Come now. Four to a tray, plenty of pots to go round... "the professor said,

I grabbed the top of my plant, pull it out, an ugly screaming baby popped out. I threw it in the plot, covering it with dirt, rubbing my hands on my robes, disgusted. Draco held him up, laughing at it, with a finger pointed at it. The plant glares at him and bites his finger. Draco starts screaming as I laughed. He threw it in the pot and covers it with the dirt.

"Not funny, Riv!" He yelled,

"I thought it was," I said. He glared at me, holding his finger close to his chest.

"My father will hear about this," He whispered to me.

"And what will he do?" I asked.

"I-, shut up, Riv!" He said.

---

"Let me introduce you to your new Defense Against the Dark Arts Teacher. Me. Gilderoy Lockhart, Order of Merlin, Third Class, Honorary Member of the Dark Force Defense League and five times winner of Witch Weekly's Most- Charming-Smile Award — But I don't talk about that. I didn't get rid of the Bandon Banshee by smiling at her!" Lockhart said, walking around in his classroom. Daphne, Pansy, and I giggled as he passed us.

"What are you three giggling about?" Blaise asked, looking at us and Lockhart.

"Nothing," we said. The boys jumped back in their seats, confused.

"I see you've all bought a complete set of my books. Well done. I thought we'd start today with a little quiz. Nothing to worry about. Just to check how well you've read them, how much you've taken in..." Lockhart said, as he passed around a test. Theo picked it up, scowling.

"Look at these questions. What's Lockhart's favorite color? What's his biggest achievement?" Theo said,

"When is his birthday?" Theo said,

"January 26, 1964," I said, quietly. The three boys all glared at me.

"What? It's obvious!" I said,

"You all may begin, now, you have thirty minutes," He said.

---

"Tut, tut. Hardly any of you remembered my favorite color is lilac. But Miss Hermione Granger and Ms. Potter knew that my secret ambition is to rid the world of evil and market my own range of hair care potions. Good girls," he said. I blushed as the boys all turned to glare at me.

"Now... be warned! It is my job to arm you against the foulest creatures known to wizard kind! You may find yourself facing your own worst fears in this room. Know only that no harm can befall you whilst I am here... "Lockhart turned to something that was being covered with a grey sheet.

"I must ask you not to scream, as it can provoke them," He said. I leaned forward in my seat as he pulled off the cover, showing small blue pixies.

"Cornish pixies?" Finnegan said.

"Freshly caught Cornish pixies." Finnegan laughs,

"Laugh if you will, Mr. Finnegan, but pixies can be devilishly tricky little blighters. Let's see what you make of them now!" Lockhart opened the cage, and the pixies all flew out, and started attacking us. They break ink bottles, beakers, and shredded books. I tried to swat some away with my book as some pulled on my hair. Draco and Theo tried to pull them away from me, Daphne and Pansy, but they wouldn't budge.

"Immobilus!" I heard someone yell, and the pixies freeze in midair. I pull my ginger hair away from the pixie's hands and rub my scalp, that stung.

"You still think he's so great?" Draco asked. I rolled my eyes.

"You saw those pixies! They were evil!" I said. He shook his head.

---

"Hello! Excuse me, Marcus Flint!" I yelled, running up to him in the common room where he sat on the couch with his friends.

"Yes?" He said, looking up at me.

"I was wondering what day quidditch tryouts were," I said. He smirked at me.

"You want to try out? You? You're a second year." Marcus said.

"Well, why else would I ask?" I said. He raised his eyes brows at me but laughed.

"Okay, it's in two days' time, 5pm. Don't be late." He said. I nodded as he looked back at his friends.

---

Draco and I were the only second years at the tryouts. I glanced around nervously, as Draco looked confidently at the others.

"I don't know if I can do this." I whispered,

"Don't worry, you're great at Quidditch. You can outplay all these idiots." Draco smirked, as Marcus Flint was walked around, looking at all of us.

"Alright, if you're here to try out for Seeker go over there, I'll be there in a second," He said, pointing to his left.

"Chaser's over there," He said, pointing to his right where two fifth-year boys were already standing. I walked over to where the chasers were as Draco went to the seeker post.

"I'm going to see if you can work well with my boys, Pucey, and William. Brown, you can go first." Flint pointed to the boy in the middle, who looked ready to throw up any second now. He got on his broom, wobbling slightly.

He had managed to only score one point with his team and almost fell off his broom during his second pass. I could see Flint shaking his head from the corner of my eye. Then the second boy went. He had flown smoothly and had managed to get three points with the team, but the boys didn't seem to like him, as he had accidentally knocked Pucey off his broom.

"Alright now it's your turn, Potter," He said, I nodded, getting on my broom gracefully and getting handed the quaffle quickly by William, I flew with it two feet before handing it to Pucey, who threw it back to me, I scored the first goal, feeling much more confident than now.

---

I had scored three goals and helped with two, there was no way I would not be getting on the team, I thought but I didn't know if Marcus would want only huge boys on his team or would be okay with what I had to offer.

"How did you do?" I asked Draco as he sat next to me on the bench, his hair glued to his forehead. He dropped his broom onto the ground and stretched.

"Don't worry, I know I got on the team," he said, smirking. I shook my head at him, annoyed.

"You have a stupid smirk. I just wanted to let you know," I said.

"I do not have an ugly smirk!"