Chapter 55 (Year 6)

River's POV

"So, who do you reckon Katie was supposed to give the necklace to?" Weasley asked after we walked out of McGonagall's office.

"Goodness only knows. But whoever it was had a narrow escape. No one could have opened that package without touching the necklace."

"Yeah, lucky them," I hissed, hoping it sounded as sincere as it could.

"It could've been meant for loads of people, Dumbledore — the Death Eaters would love to get rid of him, he must be one of their top targets. Or Slughorn — Dumbledore reckons Voldemort really wanted him and they can't be pleased that he's sided with Dumbledore. Or —"

"You," I said, cutting him off.

"Couldn't have been, or Katie would've just turned around in the lane and given it to me, wouldn't she? I was behind her all the way out of the Three Broomsticks. It would have made much more sense to deliver the parcel outside Hogwarts, what with Filch searching everyone who goes in and out. I wonder why Malfoy told her to take it into the castle?" Potter said.

"Harry! Malfoy wasn't in Hogsmeade!" Granger yelled,

"He must have used an accomplice Crabbe or Goyle — or, come to think of it, another Death Eater, he'll have loads better cronies than Crabbe and Goyle now he's joined up —" I uncomfortably looked around at all the portraits, trying to not be heard.

"I best be off. I want to take a shower. See you guys later, I want some rest." I said, as we got up to the portrait of the fat lady. 

"You sure you don't want to come in? No one will care, and I know someone would love to talk to you," Granger said. 

"Who wants to talk to her? Tell me," Potter said, as he glared at her.

"No one, Harry, will you shut up?" I laughed.

"You sure you don't want to come?" Granger asked again, I nodded.

"No, I'm alright, I want to go change and relax anyway," I said. They shrugged as I waved goodbye.

"Just tell me who it is, just tell me," I heard Potter say as I walked down the stairs.

"Harry! It doesn't matter if someone fancies her."

---

I walked into the room of requirements, seeing Draco laying on the bed with an arm over his eyes.

"Draco," I said, taking my Slytherin robe off and laying down next to him.

"Did it work?" He asked, as I put my head on his chest, and he wrapped one arm around my waist, his arm still covering his eyes. 

"No, I gave it to Katie Bell, but her stupid friend got in the way and ripped the package open. Now they have to send her to Saint Mugos."

"Damn it," Draco hissed.

"I know. We have to figure something else out now," 

"Oh, and Potter knows you're a death eater, but no one believes him,"

"Well, he's too pathetic for anyone to believe him, anyway." He spat, finally removing his arm from his face. I looked at his face, seeing very deep dark circles under his eyes.

"Have you slept at all? You should sleep now," 

"I'm fine," 

"No, you're not! Your pale, you have dark circles, and your probably one hour away from passing out," I hissed. He signed,

"But I'm not that tired, I need to get to work," he said, trying to sit up. I grabbed his shoulders, pushing his back down. 

"Love, it's like 8 o'clock, it's not even that late yet," he said, as he rested his head on my chest. I ran my fingers through his hair watching as his eyes started getting heavier.

"But it's late for you, just go to sleep." I said, as I quickly flicked my wand and a blanket was laid over us.

"N-no- work- "But then I heard light snoring a second later.

---

I woke up with a burning sensation in my left arm, right where the mark was. Draco shifted a little before waking up.

"Did you feel it?" I asked. He nodded.

"Yeah, he wants to see us, we better go." He said, standing up quickly.

"Did you sleep well, though?" I asked. He shrugged.

"Yeah, it was great, the best I've slept in weeks." He smiled, I nodded,

"Good, I'm glad." I said, standing up.

---

We walked into the Malfoy manor, after getting on the Hogwarts Express.

"Draco, River. I'm so glad you could join me." Voldemort said, as he sat at the front of the table with his snake circling his chair.

"Sit," He said, gesturing to the two seats in front of him. We both walked quickly and sat down next to him. I held onto Draco's hand tightly, almost causing the blood to drain from his hand, but he didn't seem to notice.

"Well, how are your tasks?" He said. I noticed his long fingers starting to pet his snake. I didn't dare look at his face as I focused on his hand movements.

"Well, um, Lord. You see, I tried to kill Dumbledore today, but then a problem appeared and there was nothing I could do." Draco said,

"Problem?" Voldemort asked,

"Well, um, a girl got in the way and now she's in Saint Mugos," Draco finished.

"Well, the school year is not over yet, you have little time left," He said. Draco relaxed a little and nodded.

"Thank you," He said,

"Well, what about you River, what do you have for me?" He asked,

"W-well, um, Potter has been having meetings with Dumbledore. They say Dumbledore is teaching him how to protect himself," I said.

"That's all?" He asked,

"Yes, Sir, he also thinks Draco is a death eater, but no one believes him. He has no proof," I said, Voldemort smirked.

"Well, then. The boy is more of a fool then I thought. Of course, no one would believe I made a 17-year-old boy a death eater, but that's exactly what I did." He laughed,

"You two may leave, we are done." He said before turning away from us. We both stood up quickly and walked out nervously.

"Well, that went better than I thought it would," I said.

"That's cause it's still early, we haven't done anything he needs us to yet," Draco said, rubbing his eyes, annoyed.

"Well, let's get back. I needed to work," Draco huffed. Walking ahead of me, I signed and walked behind him.

---

"Draco you should just go back to sleep; you can work in the morning." I said. He shook his head.

"Of course not. I need all the time I have. You know he was just trying to get us to work harder," He said, rushing to his seat. I huffed, rolling my eyes as he grabbed another book and started skimming through the pages.

"Fine," I said, sitting down next to him and grabbing a book.

"What are you doing?" He asked, not looking up from his book.

"You need help, and you're also bothering me," I hissed. He rolled his eyes.

"You don't need to help me, just go to sleep."

"Shut up Draco, and let me help," 

"Fine."