Chapter 64 (Year 6)

River's POV

"You ready?" I asked Draco. He nodded nervously and took a deep breath as I unbuttoned my left sleeve and left my dark mark show. Today was the day, and everyone will know who we were now. Why hide it, I thought.

He opened the door of the vanishing cabinet and death eaters started appearing one by one, filling the entire room.

"Draco!" His aunt Bellatrix said,

"You go and finish Dumbledore off, we will have some fun of our own," She said, laughing, as she glanced at Greybeck, he had an identical smirk on his hairy face.

"Alright, we're leaving." He said, lacing our fingers together before we walked out the room of requirements, that was growing more and more packed with death eaters. 

"River? Malfoy?" I heard Hermione's voice say, I turned around coming face to face with Hermione, Ron, and Neville. 

"What's going on here?" Ron asked, looking at my and Draco's intertwined fingers. 

"Oh, this is awkward," I whispered. I lifted my left arm up, my dark mark shinning in the light as Draco spilled the potion, causing a silver fog to cover us and let the rest of the death eaters come out. 

---

Draco kicked the door down, as we walked in pointing our wands at Professor Dumbledore. 

"Expelliarmus!" The wand from Dumbledore's hand flew out. 

"Good evening, Draco, River," He whispered, we walked into the light.

"Who else is here?" I asked,

"A question I might ask you. Or are you two acting alone?" We both lifted our left sleeves up and showed him our dark mark.

"No, we've got backup. There are Death Eaters here in your school tonight." Draco answered.

"Well, well, very good indeed. You found a way to let them in, did you?" 

"Yeah, right under your nose and you never realized," I said.

"Yet... forgive me... where are they now? You seem unsupported."

"They met your guards, there having a little fight." I shrugged, trying to sound calm, but both our wands were shaking. I held mine tighter, trying to stop but it wasn't working.

"They won't be long.... we came on ahead. I — I've got a job to do." Draco said, trying to sound firm.

"Well, then, you must get on and do it, my dear boy," We both stared at him, I noticed that Dumbledore looked weak, he could barely lift his own head up, as he stared at us, until he started to smile.

"Draco, Draco, you are not a killer." Dumbledore whispered,

"How do you know?" Draco whispered, weakly. He flushed before straightening up again.

"You don't know what I'm capable of, you don't know what I've done!" Draco yelled,

"Oh yes, I do. You almost killed Katie Bell and Ronald Weasley. You have been trying, with increasing desperation, to kill me all year. Forgive me, Draco, but they have been feeble attempts.... So feeble, to be honest, that I wonder whether your heart has been really in it."

"It has been in it! I've been working on it all year, and tonight —" There was a loud banging sound and we both looked over our shoulders,

"Somebody is putting up a good fight, but you were saying... yes, you have managed to introduce Death Eaters into my school, which, I admit, I thought impossible.... How did you do it?" I looked back at Dumbledore, but Draco still looked over his shoulder, our wands still shaking.