Chapter 19 (Year 3)

River's POV-

"I don't understand why I am here," I said, sitting down on one of the classroom chairs with my arms crossed over my chest and tapping my foot on the ground. Potter looked at me with some small annoyance in his eyes, but Professor Lupin had some amusement in his eyes, like he always did.

"I've heard that you are the only other person on the trains affected by Dementors was you, and Harry has asked to have you learn how to do a Patronus," Lupin said, calmly.

"Well, I don't need to learn how to. I won't come face to face with one now will I?" I said, standing up.

"Sit down, Ms. Potter, you will learn how too, because I say you will." He said. I huffed, sitting down, and glaring at the floor.

"Fine," I said. Lupin clapped his hands together and smiled.

"Wonderful, now a Patronus is a kind of positive force. For the wizard who can conjure one, the Patronus works something like a shield. The dementor feeds on it instead of him. But in order for it to work, you must think of a memory. And not just any. This memory needs to be a very happy one. And powerful." Lupin explained.

"Now I have brought the boggart we used in class, Harry will stand in front of it, and you will hide behind him as to not have it change into your fear," Lupin said, walking up to the wardrobe the boggart still had in it.

Potter stood in front of me, his wand at the ready. Lupin opened the door, and the boggart slid out in dementor form.

"River you first," Lupin said. I nodded, taking my wand out. I started thinking quickly,

What was my happiest thought?

I thought of Daphne, Pansy, and me walking into our dorm rooms for the first time before muttering the spell, but only small white sparks came flying from my wand.

"You need to think of something happier," Lupin said. I thought of my family.

"What are you thinking of?"

"I thought of my family," I answered,

"You love your family but sometimes having too many happy thoughts you can't pick one," Lupin explained. Potter scowled, rolling his eyes.

"You need something happier," Lupin said calmly. I signed and nodded. Then I thought of Draco and me at the Christmas party, and our almost kiss.

"Expecto Patronum!" I yelled, and a big eagle came out of my wand. It flew around the room. I smiled and put my wand in my robe pockets and tried to avoid looking at the Dementor.

"Well done, River," Lupin said, smiling at me.

"Thank you," I said, grinning back at him. Potter took a little longer, as he looked up at the Dementor frozen,

"Now, Harry, this is just practice for you since we have done this in the past," Lupin said. Potter nodded.

"Expecto Patronum!" And a white stag ran straight at the dementor, running straight through the dementor.

"Good job today. I'll see you both in classes!" He said. We both nodded and said bye to the professor before walking out.

We walked side by side, mainly Potter following me, as I tried to make my way to the Slytherin common room.

"What was your memory?" Potter asked. I started blushing lightly,

"I-it's nothing, just something with my Mum and Blaise," I lied. He nodded, forgetting that I had tried that, and it didn't work.

"What's yours?" I asked. He averted his eyes away from me.

"Oh, just the first time I rode a broom," He said. I shrugged,

"Alright," I said, walking down to the Slytherin common room, putting an end to the conversation.

---

"Did you hear that Sirius Black was in the Gryffindor boys' dormitory? Apparently, Weasley fought him off," Daphne said, as she read the Daily Prophet.

"In the boy's dormitory?" I said, surprised,

"How did he even get in there?" Theo asked, as he sat next to Daphne. Where ever she was, he seemed to be these days.

"Don't know," She said, shrugging.

"But why did he go for Weasley when he's been clear on wanting to kill Potter and me?" I said, confused. Daphne looked at me nervously. She never liked it when I said Sirius Black wanted me dead.

"Sorry, but it's true," I said,

"He probably thought that Weasley was Potter," Daphne said, shrugging.

"You think he's going to try to attack the Slytherin common room?" Theo asked. I shrugged,

"I don't know, I don't think so. He couldn't get on the girl's dormitory with that boy-repellent spell," I said.

"You guys have a boy-repellent spell!" Theo said, shocked. We nodded.

"Yes,"

"And why do we not have a girl-repellent spell?" Theo said,

"Because they thought girls were smarter," I smiled at him. Theo opened his mouth but then closed it, knowing the three of us would have killed him if he said anything against us.

"Well, lovely weather we're having," He said, instead, leaning back against the couch.

---

"Help! Help!" I heard the portrait of the Slytherin common room say, Daphne, Pansy, and I all looked at each other, confused.

"Well, we're no Gryffindor, so I say we should get back into bed," Pansy said. I rolled my eyes and heard more doors opening.

"Come on, let's just see what's going on," I said. Pansy groaned, standing up.

We walked downstairs, seeing Blaise looking at us worriedly and Snape in the room, annoyed.

"Now what is going on?" He asked,

"Someone screamed for help," A second-year boy said,

"I think it was the man in the portrait," Another said,

"Fine, first I have to deal with Potter's insulant-," He mumbled before turning to the portrait of the man.

"What happened? Were you screaming?" Snape asked in an annoyed voice.

"Yes, I did, and for good reason, too! Sirius Black! He came looking for... for.. her!" He yelled, pointing a shaking finger at me. Everyone turned to look at me, surprised and pity written all over their faces. I looked at Snape, whose face had gotten paler.

"And after that, I started screaming. He made a run for it. I didn't realize it was him at first. I was sleeping," The man said, shaking slightly in his frame.

"Well, everyone goes back to bed, I'll go inform Dumbledore. No one can enter the common room without the password." He said, trying to sound as if he was reassuring himself more than us. Everyone started leaving as the boys come up to us along with Snape.

"River, are you okay?" Snape asked.

"I'm fine, just a little shaken," I answered, Snape, signed.

"I'm going to do what I told them I will. I'm going to speak to Dumbledore." Snape said. I nodded as Snape walked out of the common room.

"Maybe you should sleep in the boy's dorm with me. That way I can keep watch on you," Blaise said. I shook my head,

"No, that won't work, I'll be safer in the girls' dorm, with the man's repellent charm," I said, Blaise, shook his head.

"Alright, we'll see you in the morning," Blaise said. We parted ways, and we walked upstairs to the girl's dorm rooms.

As I crawled into bed, I realized how fast my heartbeat was going against my rib cage. I closed my eyes and, with a shaking breath, tried to go to sleep.

I thought he had only wanted Potter; he had only attacked Potter, but now he came for me.

A/N- Please check out my new stories. My Slytherin- Draco Malfoy, and Perfect Malfoy- George Weasley. Thank you!