Episode 34 - Inklings👽

"Leftovers in their less visible form are called memories. Stored in the refrigerator of the mind and the cupboard of the heart."

-Thomas Fuller

👽👽👽

"Kate, I'm scared," Elena spoke in a hushed tone.

The younger twin sat on the bed with a grunt and sighed. "Nightmares?"

Elena shook her head. "The Exorcist."

Kate nodded and opened her arms, beckoning Elena forward.

Elena laid her head on Kate's shoulder and shut her eyes. "The dark is too dark today, K."

Kate glanced down, her hand rubbing in circles on Elena's back. "El, don't be scared. You've overcome your fear long back."

"I know." Elena sighed. "Doesn't mean I won't be afraid ever."

"Think about good things, El."

"Like?"

"Like how that girl got possessed."

Kate chuckled when Elena clapped her back with a whine.

"Meanie." Elena pouted in the dark and scooted closer to her sister again.

Kate chuckled. "Look, you're not a kid anymore. You're old enough."

Elena snorted in response.

"The darkness... it's nothing but the absence of light. Just think of it as a black cloth."

Kate gently tapped Elena's back as she hummed softly.

Elena sighed when Kate switched on the lamp. "See, El? It isn't so dark anymore. There's nothing to be afraid of."

Elena admired Kate's eyes, which sparkled under the lamp's glow. "Easy for you to say. You were never scared of the dark."

Kate chuckled, but Elena could sense a sneer in her low voice. "Darkness is no horror compared to what I've been through."

"El." Kate's soft voice sighed. "You've to look past the fear."

"It's all your fault, Kate," Elena's voice raised a little. "Had you not locked me and Van in that room, things would've been different today."

Kate scoffed. "Can you blame me? I was only a kid back then."

Kate's eyes crinkled as she tapped her chin. "How old were we? Eight? Nine?"

"Nine." Elena held Kate's palm. "I don't understand, Kate."

Kate put her palm over Elena's, encouraging her to continue with a nod.

"If I've overcome my fear, so should've Van. It's been so many years, yet he's terrified."

Kate nodded. "He should've overcome it by now."

Elena took a deep breath. "I thought he'd recognize us after we pranked him. That's what we've been practically doing since we were kids."

She paused when she heard movement. Her eyes widened as she noticed Ivan standing near their bed.

"Who are you?" he asked, the fingers of his right hand rubbing one side of his forehead.

"We're aliens." Kate facepalmed.

Elena sighed. "Go back to sleep, Van."

Once Ivan retreated back to lay on the couch, Kate whispered, "He heard everything, El."