Perceiving the Past

Fries POV:

"Why, it was Fanny, of course..."

"W-what?" My eyes were left wide open, unable to comprehend what he just said.

"You heard me right, Fries. I'm surprised you hadn't realized this earlier." I was left dumbfounded; Could he be tricking me? My sadness and regret trickled away, turning into doubt and confusion. Although the pit in my stomach urged me not to speak, I had to know what Firey was talking about.

I managed to sputter out these words: "Fanny? Why would it be her? I don't even know her!"

How could he expect me to believe that some random girl killed my best friend?

Was he lying to me? That wouldn't be very out of character for him to lie about it. Still, a part of me wanted to hear what he had to say.

Firey yawned and stretched out his arms: "God, this is going to take longer than I thought. You seriously don't know anything about Fanny?" He scoffed, unenthused.

"Why would I?" I snapped back. The only way this man would take me seriously is if I stooped down to his level. "The real question here is why I should trust you. If anything this could all just be you framing some random object on the Island."

"Heh, somebody's got his tough face on again," he teased. "Look, if you choose to believe I'd kill someone who literally has no meaning to me, you can go back to your sad, miserable, friendless life, constantly wondering who the murderer really was," he stated bluntly.

I sighed and looked down onto the carpet. He was right; I had nothing waiting for me back at home besides an endless life of wondering.

"Or..." he started, an intriguing tone to his voice.

"Or what?" I muttered.

"Or I can tell you what I know in exchange for one thing."

I looked at him with suspicious eyes: "What is it?"

"You can't tell anyone about my secret little room downstairs."

I weighed the options in my mind, wondering if this little deal was worth it. Of course, I was in denial, and I honestly thought he was lying. Still, it wouldn't hurt just to hear what he had to say.

Finally, I nodded my head: "Ok, fine, I won't tell anyone. Can you please tell me why Fanny is the so-called 'murderer' now?"

"I'm glad we are both on the same page. Let's begin."

I took a huge gulp, afraid of the possible truth ahead of me. If this was in fact the truth, would I be able to handle it?

Before I could process that thought, he began to speak: "This all started long before any of this 4 and X nonsense happened. You remember our days back as Team No Name, right?"

My eyes glistened at the sound of that name. I almost forgot Firey was on our team back then, when everything seemed so simple.