Another Chance

Pencil POV:

"Match! Please wake up!"

I frantically placed my hand under her neck, and gently lifted her head up. I used both my fingers and checked her pulse; it was thready. That meant there was still a chance to save her.

I hurriedly picked her up and placed back down, her back leaning against the wall. I looked around me, hoping that there was something that could save her, but the room was empty. I had to rely on my own two hands to bring her back.

Adrenaline filled my veins, as the shock numbed all my feelings. Right now, all I needed to focus on was bringing her back, and I couldn't let my feelings get in the way. There was no way I was going to give up on her; I couldn't have lived with myself if I did.

I put Match back down from the wall and formed my hands into a curved shape. I started to firmly press on her chest, unsure of how hard or how fast I should apply the pressure. I remember training for this a while back, in case someone at the resort needed medical assistance, but during the training, all I did was slack off with Match.

I guess this was my daily dose of karma.

I continued pounding on her chest, trying to remember what song we used to practice with. The song would help me figure out how fast I needed to pound her chest.

Suddenly, flashbacks came flooding back into my head.

The song...I remember it! I just need to keep that beat steady and she'll be alright, I just know it!

Trying to keep myself together, I began to half heartedly chant the once familiar tune, grasping onto the ounce of hope I had left:

"1, 2.." I started whispering to myself, "...3, 4...Who do we think is a stupid, annoying—" I couldn't bring myself to finish the line.

Isn't this great, Pencil? How ironic it is that this is the very song which brought you closer to her, yet isolated both of you from the rest of society. Think about poor Spongy; he was used as FUEL for our transportation.

All the years you've taunted people, and it all comes back to bite you in the ass. She wouldn't be in this horrible condition if it wasn't for you. YOU should've been the one to suffer, not her.

The voice in my head kept getting louder and louder, eating at my brain. Still, I continued my steady rhythm, repeating the chant in my head. I counted until I got a total of 60 pulses, and stopped to check on her heartbeat.

It started to return back to its normal state.

I took all my hands off of her and let out a huge gasp of relief. I lifted up her head once again and placed her on my lap this time, breathing heavily into her arms. I put my own arm around her waist and started to feel her breath return back normal, but I still didn't let go of her.

Her head was leaning against my right shoulder, until I felt a slight jerking movement. I immediately took grip of Match's shoulders and turned around so that I was facing her. Her eyes started to fade back open and I let out a huge smile. She was awake.