Learning Thai [Alex Albon]

"I think that's enough for today," Y/N's tutor said through the computer screen, "Good work today. Keep using duolingo, you're making great progress." Y/N had been learning Thai for the past few months in secret without Alex or anyone knowing as she wanted to surprise him at the end of the season in Abu Dhabi. She had taken an elective module in Thai at the beginning of the third term last year and had continued it onto this year.

"Thank you. I'll see you on Tuesday." Y/N bided her goodbyes and hung up. It was nearing 5 o'clock, meaning that the Brazilian Grand Prix would be starting any minute. Y/N grabbed her phone, left the office and shuffled into the living room so that she could watch the race, Y/N wasn't able to travel to Brazil to be there with Alex as she had university assignments to catch up on, but nonetheless she was just as ecstatic when Alex managed to get into podium positions relatively early on into the race as she would have been if she was sat in his garage, and when the Ferrari's had to retire, she knew there was a chance of Alex getting his first podium. If anyone where to see Y/N at this current moment in time, they'd be concerned as she was screaming with glee at the television. It was the penultimate lap and Y/N's heart dropped. 'Stupid Hamilton' was all she could think as she watched the scene unfold before her eyes. Alex was doing fantastically in P2, but now he's in P15. Y/N's heart broke for Alex, she knew he'd be so excited at the possibility of his first podium, but now it's been snatched right out of his grasp. Once the race finished, Y/N couldn't bear to watch the podium, knowing that Alex was meant to be on there. An hour later, Y/N was relaxing in a hot, warm bubble bath, waiting for Alex to call her as she knew from previous experience that it was best to wait for him to call as he had media commitments to conduct after the race. Y/N was thinking about how excited she would be to finally be able to see Alex after nearly a week when the familiar FaceTime ringtone interrupted her train of thought. She immediately answered it once she saw that it was Alex.

"Oh, babe. You were so good today." Y/N began with a smile, she was trying to hold the camera in an angle that didn't expose herself to her boyfriend.

"I was awful." He said glumly, he was laying on his bed in his hotel room, it was quite dark, so Y/N knew he was just trying to waste the night before his flight tomorrow.

"Stop that!" Y/N argued, "You drove amazingly. It was just unfortunate in the last few laps." She could tell that he was still down in the dumps about the race and nothing she could say would help that, but in a last effort, she blurted out, "C̄hạn rạk khuṇ," Alex did a double take on the camera and simply stared at her mystified. "Oh no. I butchered it, didn't I?"

"No, no!" Alex protested when he saw her face fall at the thought that all her hard work had been for nothing. "Have you, have you been learning Thai?" A faint smile appeared on his face and he ran his hand through his hair. Sheepishly, Y/N nodded, "I'm learning it at uni."

"Really?"

"Yeah, of course." Y/N smiled widely, "I wanted to surprise you in Abu Dhabi, but this is even better."

"I love it." The smile on his face could've rivalled that of Daniel Ricciardo's, simply for how wide it was. At his confession, Y/N cheered happily, sitting up and laughing, only stopping short at the wide eyed look that appeared on Alex's face. "Are you in the bath?" Y/N quickly looked at the small view finder on her phone that showed what Alex could see and shrieked, rapidly covering her chest and sinking back into the bubbles, all while slightly glaring at Alex who was laughing at her expense.

 "Are you in the bath?" Y/N quickly looked at the small view finder on her phone that showed what Alex could see and shrieked, rapidly covering her chest and sinking back into the bubbles, all while slightly glaring at Alex who was laughing at her...