Chapter Twenty-Five

"Hey, can I squeeze by to go to the bathroom?" I ask Colton and Alex. Alex and Dad are talking again and I'm pretty sure that Mom's at the bar.

"Just slide over me," Colton says.

"Can you maybe move?" I ask him.

"You can just slide over me," he says.

"You're a jackass," I mutter. I start to slide over him but his hands latch onto my hips. So, I'm sitting on his lap. "Let go," I say hastily. I squirm a little bit. Alex hasn't seemed to notice that I'm sitting on Colton's lap.

"Yeah, but you don't want me to let go," he says.

"What are you talking about? Let go of me," I say. "Alex, can you scoot out of the booth so I can get out?" She looks over at us and nods. She eyes Colton and slides out. His hands release me as I scoot over him and slide out of the booth.

I weave through tables and make my way to the bathroom. I open the door and walk into a stall. After I'm done with my business, I linger in the stall. I don't really want to go out and go back to the table, only to find Mom. I shake my head and exit the stall.

I wash my hands and I'm drying them when Mom walks in. I pause for a second and then throw the paper towel in the garbage. She walks up to the mirror and checks herself out. I shut my eyes for a second.

"God, that's a terrible woman," Mother says in a thick voice. She leans against the wall. I don't say anything.

"Why do you think she's bad?" I ask slowly. Her eyes flash.

"Don't disrespect me," she snarls.

"Please," I say. "Have another drink, Mother." Her glare is ice cold.

"You're not allowed to see that boy," she says.

"We're not dating. And I'm eighteen, you have no control over who I see or don't see," I tell her.

"I see the way you two look at each other. I'm not blind," Mother says.

"But you're drunk, and dressed like a whore. Have some class," I say and then walk out the bathroom. I walk right into something solid. It's Colton. Before I can trip backward, his hands fly to my waist.

"Whoa," he says. "Everything okay?"

"Were you standing outside of the bathroom?" I ask him. He doesn't meet my gaze. "You're a pervert. But um, how much much of that did you hear?"

His eyes bore into mine. "I'm sorry about your mom, Andy."

"It's nothing I can't handle," I say smoothly and step out of his grip.

"Yeah. But you shouldn't have to," he tells me as we walk back to the booth. He's being oddly nice and considerate.

Alex slides out of the booth when she sees us. She and Dad are immersed in a conversation. Colton and I slide in. Mom saunters back to the table. Dad sighs and the waiter comes back with the check. I guess Dad paid well I was in the bathroom. Dad grabs his credit card and gets up.

"Well, it was lovely to meet you, Alex," Dad says. "But I should take my wife home."

"Yeah, it was nice to meet you," Alex says with a warm smile.

"Andy, are you coming home with us or staying?" Dad asks.

"Uh, can I stay with you guys for a little while?" I ask Colton and Alex.

"Sure, sweetie. We'll drive you home," Alex says.

"Okay, well, I'll see you at home," Dad says. "Colton." Dad gives a slight head nod and leads Mom out of the restaurant. Alex grabs her credit card.