Chapter Fifty-Seven

He stops when he sees me. "Andy," he breathes.

"Oh, shit," I mutter, standing up. I brush my dress off.

"What are you doing here?" Bryce asks. He walks closer.

"I got lost trying to find the bathroom," I say. "What are you doing?"

"It's not important," he says. "You said you were lost?" I nod.

"I swear it's like a fucking maze," I say. Bryce smiles. "Um, are you lost or do you know how to get back?"

"I know how to get back," he says. We start walking. It's awkward.

"So, um, how have you been?" I ask. God, I sound so stupid. Bryce shrugs.

"Good," he says. Of course he would have been good. "You?"

"Good," I say. I'm lying. I've been okay without him, far from good. I pull out the Brandy and take a sip. I offer it to Bryce.

"I usually don't drink," he says, his fingers brush mine and takes the flask. It's the first time we've touched in weeks. He takes a drink and hands it back to me. I put it back in my clutch.

"Then why are you?" I ask.

"Things change," Bryce tells me. We make it back to the ballroom. "I'll see you around," he says and then he's gone.

"Fuck," I mutter. I look around, trying to find Greyson. I spot him. "How's it going?" I ask Greyson. He grins at me.

"Good, good. I was actually just coming to find you," he says. "Uh, Christian and I are getting out of here. She got a ride from one of the teachers so, we're gonna take my car. Is that cool?"

"Yeah, no problem. Have fun. I'll get a ride from someone," I say. He grins at me and I grin back.

"Cool. Blondie's staring at you by the way," Greyson says.

"Have fun." He nods and then walks away. I look around trying to find someone to talk to. I don't really have a lot of friends besides Greyson. I look at my watch. It's 8:59. They're going to announce Prom King and Queen in half an hour. I sigh.

I sit down. After ten minutes I pull out my phone and start walking, so I can call Brandon or Cross and see if one of them can pick me up.

"Going somewhere?" Bryce asks. He's standing by the staircase.

"I was going to make a call," I say. I need to get out of here, be away from him.

"There's no service," he says.

"Fuck, that's right," I mutter.

"Did you need to be somewhere?" he asks.

"Kind of. I was just going to get out of here. I'll figure something out," I say.

"I'll take you wherever you need to go." He pauses. "If you'll give me one dance." I open my mouth but nothing comes out. I nod before I can do anything else.

"It'll just be one dance?' I ask. He nods. "Okay," I say. I don't think it's a good idea, but if it gets me a ride, it doesn't matter. Bryce leads me to the dance floor. It's a slow song.

His hands slide around my waist and I put my arms around his neck. I inhale sharply when he pulls me closer to him. His touch feels so good. "I never did tell you how lovely you look," he says. I breathe in his scent and shift closer to him. His fingers are touching my bare back.

We sway together. Everything else kind of fades. "I missed you," I murmur. I don't know why. Maybe it was the Brandy. Bryce stiffens. Shit.

But then his hands tighten and he says, "I missed you too." We keep dancing. "I lied earlier when I said I was good," he says. "It hasn't been good without you." His eyes meet mine.