chapter one // kept

hey babes this is probably gonna be bad but like. have fun lol

also y/n is just a sUrRoGaTe for myself so very specific details like where she's originally from, her family issues (not brought up in this chapter but we'll get there), etc. are gonna be very specific to me because honestly i'm just venting here lmao

it's y/n but it's really m/n tbh 

anyway enjoy!

WARNINGS: brief mentions of sexual assault & murder

(both as part of a case)

----------

"That was rough," you sighed, letting your bag fall to the floor.

"Yeah," your girlfriend responded. Seven missing teenagers, in a boy-girl-boy-girl pattern, each one sexually assaulted ante- and postmortem. "Hey, it's okay," Emily added, putting her hand on your shoulder as you walked into the bedroom. "It's over. We got him,"

"I know." You raised your eyebrows and nodded sadly. "I'm tired, Em, I just wanna go to bed,"

"Me too. I'm exhausted." Emily rubbed your shoulder and went into the bathroom. You changed out of your work clothes and plugged in your phone, then climbed into bed, waiting for Emily. "Love, are you okay?" You nodded, giving her a tiny smile as reassurance.

"I'm fine, Em. You?"

"I'm good. I just wanna get to bed."

-

You and Emily had been dating for a year and a half, and it had been a well-kept secret until about a month ago. Garcia saw you pull away from a stolen kiss in the hallway, and she was notoriously a poor secret-keeper. You hadn't even come out to anyone at that point, except Spencer. He was your best friend, and it was awful keeping your relationship from him. You felt lucky that he was so understanding when he found out. Hotch was surprised that he hadn't figured it out sooner. "Technically, I'm required to report this to the section chief and let them handle it, typically with a field evaluation to see if one of you needs to be reassigned. However, as I'm currently the acting section chief, I make the decision, I don't believe an assessment is necessary. If your behavior continues as it has for the past year or so, we shouldn't have any problems." You and Emily had nodded gratefully, and you felt her squeeze your hand. Hotch shuffled some papers and smiled. "On a personal note, I'm very happy for you both."

Shortly after, you moved into Emily's apartment. It was bigger than yours, and you were there most of the time anyway. You had gotten used to sleeping next to her. You often woke up with her head on or next to your shoulder or chest, her arm draped over you protectively. 

-

The alarm clock rang, and Emily groaned. "I know it's the only way we'll wake up, but I'm never gonna stop complaining about that damn clock." You chuckled and rolled out of bed, trudging to the other side of the room to flip the switch. It was an old-fashioned analog alarm clock, and it was so loud and irritating that it forced you to get up. And if it was across the room, you would have to get up to make that incessant noise stop. 

"I know, babe." You sat in bed, on the left side this time, where she slept, and rubbed her back. "You're cute when you're tired," you said to her. She smiled.

"If we leave early we can get Dunks," she said. She knew how much you loved Dunkin' Donuts.

"That would involve you getting out of bed, my love,"

"Ugh...I know..." she whined. You stood up, not much wanting to leave either, and pulled her by the hand. "Ah! Stop!" she laughed.

"Then get up!" you laughed back. Emily groaned and swung her legs over the side of the bed, rubbing her eyes. She stood up, shook her hair out of her face, and kissed you quick. Emily showered in the mornings, while you showered at night, so she went in and closed the bathroom door. 

You put on black slacks and a royal blue blouse; the DC late-summer haze kept you from needing any sort of jacket. The blow dryer began to run, so you knew Emily was out of the shower.

-

You and Emily got to work five minutes early, which you knew made Hotch happy. Spencer smiled at you two from his desk. "Hi, you two,"

"Hey, Spencer," you both greeted.

"You got Dunkin' Donuts?"

"We did," Emily said, setting her things down on her desk, "Y/N has to fulfill her New England girl quota somehow." You rolled your eyes and laughed. 

"You're mean," you teased. "And it's not just being from Massachusetts, I'm also gay, Emily, and I need iced coffee."

—————

i'm sorry this is so bad i promise it gets better and there WILL be smut ;)

no one's gonna read this anyway which is good bc i'm not a good writer at all

probably shouldn't be writing instead of doing my chemistry classwork but what are you gonna do