chapter forty-four // drama queens

"Don't think we can hide this," you chuckle, looking in the mirror. You've been wearing Emily's clothes — they're bigger than yours and normally wouldn't fit, but hid your baby bump pretty well. Emily came up behind you and put her hands on your belly.

"Nope. I don't think so. Thank god we're telling him today. I've been so worried about you at work." You nod.

"I know, love. But we're okay. And I'm kind of ready to not have to hide from him anymore."

Emily laughs kisses the back of your head and holds you for a quick moment before finishing getting ready to go. "Hey, pretty girl." That puts a big smile on your face and you fix your clothes and hair in the mirror. She kisses you and puts her hands on your hips. "Do you know how proud I am of you?"

You realize you've been holding your breath and exhale, sharper than expected, and a few tears fall. You press your finger to your eyes and Emily kisses your forehead. "Sorry," you chuckle. She simply shakes her head.

"My darling..." Emily's fingers touch your cheek. "I'm so lucky to have you."

-

Emily keeps her hand on your back as you walk out of the elevator. Spencer greets you with a smile and follows you two into Hotch's office. "Where are you going?" JJ calls out. You all keep walking.

"Give us a few minutes, Jayje," Emily replies before shutting Hotch's office door.

"Morning. Why did you all want to see me?" You sit, as does Spencer, and Emily stands directly behind you.

"We have some news," she starts. "Y/N is pregnant." Hotch looks between the three of you with great confusion for a solid second before he begins to understand.

"I see. Congratulations to all three of you...?"

"Yes, thank you," Spencer nods.

"Y/N, in what capacities are you restricted in your job?" Your eyes widen. That was...definitely a fun, formal way to phrase that question. Words won't come out of your mouth and Emily squeezes your shoulder. "How far along are you?"

"19 weeks." He nods.

"Are you alright to be in the field?"

Emily's worried. Hotch notices that. Spencer tries to reassure her with a look, but the truth is, he's scared, too.

"Traveling, you're good to travel?" You nod. "Alright. From there we'll make decisions. Sound good?"

"Yessir." You stand up, as do the men — Emily's been standing behind you the whole time — and shake Hotch's hand.

"Congratulations." He hugs you three and shines a rare Aaron Hotchner smile. The team is profiling you through the window. Naughty fuckers. 

When you leave, you find Emily's hand on your lower back. Morgan's trying to figure out what's going on, Rossi's eyebrows are raised, Garcia seems a tad confused, and JJ's grinning. "Oh my god," you groan, making it clear you're really happy.

"What was that about?" Garcia asks, suggestive of nothing in particular.

"Oh, I think I know," JJ scoffed. "I think you three..." She pointed at you all. "Have been keeping a major secret,"

"That's a little dramatic, Jayje. Hey, I'm the one with a flair for the dramatic!" defended Penelope. 

"Relax, girls, you can both be drama queens," you sigh. "I'm pregnant." 

The reactions are about — let's get the number right — four hundred million different emotions. You can tell everyone wants an explanation as to how the hell this happened, but no one will ask for it, and you've agreed not to give one. What matters is that you're going to be parents together. All three of you.

"And, uh..." Spencer begins.

"Hotch!" calls Emily. He comes out of his office. 

"What, Prentiss?"

"Go, Spence," she mutters.

"It's a girl."

You've known this for a few weeks or so, and so have Emily and Spencer, of course, but seeing your best friends so happy for you makes you feel like you're finding out all over again.

"I thought you were just wearing Emily's clothes 'cause...I don't know anything about lesbian couples!" Leave it to Penelope. "Not in an offensive way, just I didn't know if that was standard practice!"

"'Standard practice'?" you laugh. She gives you a massive hug, as does everyone else but Spencer. 

-

You get a case and have to go to Utah, and on the jet JJ is giving you pregnancy advice and tips that helped her with Henry. "God, I can't believe you managed to hide this for this long," she notes, shaking her head in disbelief.

"For profilers, you guys can be pretty oblivious," you chuckle. You look at Emily laughing about something with Derek. How happy she looks. What you wouldn't give to see that smile all the time.

"You're gonna be a great mom, Y/N," JJ says as you slip back into reality. "Henry says you're his favorite babysitter." You grin and gasp. 

"That's so sweet,"

"He loves you and Emily. Em...Em is always so good with kids. She doesn't think she is, but she's just different. And god, you...Henry loves seeing you. Do you know how much he lights up when he sees you?" 

JJ's praises have sent you over the moon. You have a massive smile on your face, incapable of stopping it. "Like that. He looks just like that." You giggle slightly and JJ smiles. "I'm so excited for you. You're gonna be an incredible mother."

—————

bro i start training at my new job next week i'm so pumped i fuckin love this job