chapter seventy-one // ten weeks

"Seriously?" you laughed.

"What?" Emily called from the bathroom. You turned to examine your body in the mirror from different angles.

"I'm ten weeks along, how am I already showing?" You started to button your shirt when Emily came out to look at you. She smiled and put her arms around you.

"It's not that noticeable, babe," she chuckled, kissing your cheek and neck. You continued to button your shirt and frowned when it felt tight. You pulled out of her arms and gestured to your belly.

"Look!"

"Okay, okay," Emily laughed. She went to unbutton it. "Here, wear my shirt. It's what we did last time." You took off the shirt and threw it on the bed. You weren't sure why you were so upset. "You alright, baby?" Emily asked while she searched for a shirt for you to wear.

"No!" you cried. You fell to sit on the end of the bed and put your face in your hands. Emily turned around and came to sit with you, tucking her hair behind her ear.

"Love, what's...? Hey, what's wrong, Y/N?"

"I don't know, I'm just— I'm just really overwhelmed, I feel bad,"

"Like physically or mentally?" You tried to smile.

"Both, actually, but I meant mentally,"

"Okay, well, what do you feel bad about?" She started to rub your back and held your head to her chest.

"I feel like...I'm failing. I dunno. Just, like, I'm disappointing someone. I'm so happy to be having another kid, I just...I guess, I guess I'm uneasy, is the best way to say it. God, these damn hormones..."

Emily squeezed you against her and let you be uneasy. She rubbed your upper arm. "You're not disappointing anybody, sweetheart. You're doing everything right. I want to help you, angel, if you need anything at all, I'll move Heaven and Earth for you. M'kay? Hey, gimme a kiss." You sat up and kissed her. She cupped your face and used her thumbs to wipe your tears away. "Good girl. How's the promethazine? Is it helping?"

Your eyes widened and you nodded intensely. "Oh, god, fuck, absolutely," you laughed. "That and the steady diet of saltines and lemon seltzer's working wonders. Not a hundred percent, but it feels like it did with Maia, not like I was feeling before,"

"Good, I'm glad."

-

You left work early for an ultrasound.

"I'm sorry, what?" asked Emily. Spencer's eyes were hubcaps.

"She said twins, honey,"

"Yeah, yeah, I heard her, but we're..." Emily looked between you and Spencer before staring at the obstetrician. "We're having twins?"

"Yes," the doctor said with a smile. "I'll give you three a minute."

She shut the door behind her and Emily's hand flew to her mouth to cover her sobs. "Emily..." Spencer's hands hovered around her, unsure of how she'd respond to his touch. "Are you okay?"

Emily composed herself as best she could and looked at you. She kissed your forehead before looking at Spencer to answer his question. "I'm— yeah, oh my god, yeah. I'm just— this is—"

"Yeah," he chuckled breathily. "Twins."

Two babies. Two little babies and Maia. She was getting so big, she would be two in May. It was December 1. Three kids. You were gonna be a parent to three kids. That was as many kids as there were parents. Any more and you'd be outnumbered.

Emily couldn't stop smiling. In the car you called JJ. "Hey, Jayje," you said.

"Hey, how was the appointment? Everything good?"

"Yeah, everything's great. Um, are you sitting down?"

"No, why?" she laughed.

"Twins!" Emily shouted gaily over the phone.

"I—what? Are you serious?"

"Yeah," you wept. "We're serious."

Emily put her hand on your belly as you were trying to get to sleep that night. "I cannot believe this," she said in a quiet voice. "We're having twins,"

"I know,"

"You're wonderful, baby. So strong. I've got the bravest, strongest, most beautiful wife in the world. She's pregnant, she's pregnant with twins. And I love her too much to ever let anything happen to her. I want her to sleep and feel good every day so she can keep making two little people inside her." She poked your belly.

"I'm so tired, Emsy," you mumbled. "Will you please spoon me tonight?"

"'Course, good girl. Are you feeling alright?"

"Mhm. Just exhausted. Need your body against mine to keep me and our babies warm against this harsh December," you teased, rolling over.

"Mm, you know I love when you're dramatic. My wife is such an angel, the love of my life. Goodnight, honey."