chapter thirty-two // waffles

Henry inching out of bed to the music of Emily's warning whispers was what woke you, and Emily sighed in defeat, plastering a smile on her face. "Morning, honey," she said. "Did you sleep okay?"

"Mhm," you murmured. Henry touched the bandages on your arm.

"What happened?"

"'Member how I'm a monster-hunter?" He smiled, and you did the same while you looked up at your wife. "I caught a monster. A big, bad monster,"

"Like in Scooby-Doo!"

"Yeah, just like Scooby." Emily picked him up and carried him out.

"You want breakfast, Henry?" You stayed in bed for a moment as their voices faded, off to the kitchen. How did you get so lucky?

Your phone started to ring, and you knew you'd taken the week off. Emily was the one who was going to work, while you were staying with Henry — he didn't go to daycare or preschool, as Will was a stay-at-home dad and was always home with him. But it wasn't Hotch, like you had assumed, but Spencer.

"Spence, what's up?"

"Hi, Y/N." You sat up in bed. His voice had never sounded so hollow and hurt.

"What's wrong, Spencer? Are you okay?"

"Um...it's Derek,"

"What? Is he hurt?"

"No, no, it's— we, I got upset with him, and I don't know what to do." You sighed.

"What about?"

"I don't think he had to be so...so scathing with you to Stonebrook,"

"Spencer, he was just doing his job. He was just talking him down,"

"But he didn't have to bring Emily into it."

Could he have been right? Of course he was just talking Stonebrook down. He had a gun to your head. You had seen the look in Emily's eyes when Morgan said she'd divorce you, that your life would go to hell. A moment, just a flash of rage and devastation rang through her eyes, preparing to take up arms to defend your marriage and reputation before calming the waves her friend had made.

But he was not baiting your wife, he baited Adam, and it worked. Emily seemed alright, but clearly Spencer was shaken up by what his boyfriend had said.

"Spence, I'm not upset with him. I know that he was doing what he thought was best. He didn't hurt me, okay?"

"But implicating your wife means that...that he was willing to put a relationship on the line for an arrest. Adam didn't know that he wasn't serious. You did, and I'm sure Emily did, but the unsub didn't. He fed into his sadism and used your life to do it. How could he do that?"

"Please, Spence. If you're upset about the principle, that's one thing, but don't be upset on my behalf. Derek didn't hurt me. Nor did he hurt Emily. Are you okay?" You heard him take a few deep breaths. "Spence?"

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm...I'm okay. I'm sorry. I'm still...I'm still a little upset at him. But I, I should go apologize,"

"Okay. If you ever need anything, even just someone to do nothing with, I'm just a call away, alright?" Spencer smiled.

"Alright. Bye, Y/N. Thank you,"

"You're welcome. Bye, Spence,"

"Bye." He hung up and you fell onto your back, tossing your phone onto the bed. You rubbed your eyes and let out a sigh. Emily peeked her head in.

"Hey, love, Henry and I made some waffles, and I think they're pretty good, if I do say so myself." Your hands were clasped over your eyes but she could see your grin. "Everything okay, love?"

"Yeah," you sighed, "Spence just needed to talk for a couple minutes. All good now." You hoisted yourself up and went over to kiss her. "How's my lovely wife doing this morning?"

"She's good. And she loves you very, very much." Emily touched your nose and you scrunched up your face in response. You both giggled as she led you to the table with a hand on your back. "Henry, look who's up!"

"Auntie Y/N, you get up?" he asked with excitement. You grinned and picked him up, gasping at his plate.

"Are those waffles?"

"Yeah," he laughed.

"Are there any left for me?" Henry nodded and you kissed his cheek. "Yeah?"

"We made some for you!" He pointed over at the counter, where your breakfast was sitting. Beautifully plated, no doubt the work of your dedicated wife. You put Henry back down in the chair and grabbed your plate, kissing Emily quick on the way back. Emily's phone started to ring at the table: JJ.

"Hey, JJ, how are you? (...) Yeah, just eating breakfast. You sure you're okay, you sound worried. (...) Oh, we're in the kitchen, her phone's in the bedroom, but yeah, everything's all good, sorry. You wanna talk to Henry?" Emily put her on speaker. "Say hi, buddy,"

"Hi, Mommy!"

"Morning! How'd you sleep?"

"I woke up in the middle of the night but I slept in with Auntie Emily and Auntie Y/N,"

"Oh, you did? Did you climb in while they were asleep like you always do?"

"No, Auntie Y/N help me,"

"Oh, that's good. Well, you know Mommy loves you more than anything in the whole wide world?"

"I love you, Mommy!"

"And Daddy loves you too," Will chimed in.

"Daddy!"

"Mornin', sunshine, how are you?"

"Good,"

"All right. You bein' good for your aunties, now?"

"Uh huh!"

"'S that true?"

"He's been great!" you replied. Will chuckled.

"Good. All right, buddy, well, Mommy and Daddy have to go, but we both love you so, so, so much,"

"I love you,"

"Can you give the phone to a grown up, bud?" JJ asked him. Henry handed you Emily's phone and you took it off speaker. Emily gave you a nod, indicating she'd handle Henry while you talked to them.

"Hey, it's just me," you told them. "Sorry, I didn't hear my phone ring, Emily had hers so I thought it was fine, sorry,"

"You're good," Will said. "I'm gonna get ready to go, Jennifer." Will apparently left the room, or at least he couldn't hear what you were saying.

"JJ?"

"Yeah?"

"Okay. Is it just us? Am I on speaker?"

"Nope, he's in the bathroom, just us,"

"Okay." You lower your voice to the harshest whisper so Henry doesn't hear you. "Uh, quick question, what's going on between you two? I can kind of understand going to New Orleans with him, those were his good friends and I'm sure you knew of them, at least, but you're staying in one hotel room? JJ, he cheated on you," you reminded her. You heard her sigh.

"He's really trying to make it up to me," she reasoned.

"You were so upset about it you had a threesome with us, JJ, and you have a legal custody agreement for your son,"

"I know, but...I want to work this out with him." You sighed and shook your head.

"Okay. It's your life, but...for the record, I think this is a bad idea. But whatever you need, I'm here. We'll talk to you later, 'kay, J?"

"Yeah. We gotta go, talk to you later, Y/N, thanks,"

"No problem. Bye,"

"Bye." You hung up and let out a sigh. You messed with your hair and glanced at yourself in the mirror. Since when were you everyone's therapist?