chapter forty // surprises

Emily kissed your neck from behind as you applied your lipstick in the mirror. She could always make you smile. "You look beautiful, darling,"

"You should see yourself," you respond with a grin. You smack your lips and offer the red lipstick to Emily. She takes it and applies it to herself before kissing your lips. "You know how much I love you in red, angel..." You turn around and Emily's hands rest on your waist. She's got on a red satin dress and her hair is curled. You, on the other hand, are wearing a lacy, flowy, royal blue dress with half-sleeves.

"I'd wear red every day if it'd make you happy, darling. I'm so proud to be your wife." With her hands steady on your waist, she rubs your ribs with both her thumbs. You lean back against the sink in the bathroom and Emily leans in to kiss you. She puts her forehead against yours. "Happy one year anniversary, princess,"

"Happy anniversary, love," you say. She pulls your body against hers and leans over you. "I love you, Emsy,"

"I love you, too. Can I tell you something?" She had a slight smirk on her face, exciting you a bit.

"Anything, baby,"

"There's somewhere I really wanna go tonight, okay?"

You also had something small planned. You turned your head to the right, and Emily moved to follow your field of vision, her smirk now turning to worry.

"Y/N?"

"Uh, yeah! Yeah. I don't...I get anxious about surprises,"

"Oh, honey, I know. There's nothing scary about what we're gonna be doing, okay? It's really lowkey, we don't have anything to worry about there. I'd never put you in danger, sweet girl. Are you okay?"

"Yeah." You nod and try to smile. "Yeah, love, I'm good." You kiss her and head out together.

-

You ate dinner at the restaurant you'd both agreed on, and you knew what was happening back at the apartment. Your phone vibrated, though Emily didn't notice.

JJ: All done <3 Garcia and I are gonna head out. Hope it all goes well ;)

Garcia: it looks really pretty!! hope she loves it!!

You don't smile at your phone so she doesn't get suspicious. No, you look up and smile at her beauty. Your queen. She takes your hand over the table.

"My love, I'm...I'm so proud to be your wife. This past year has been a ride," she laughs, "but we got through it together. I've loved you for years. And I'm so happy...to be yours."

Your hand still in hers, you tap the diamond of her ring with your thumb. "I was so worried," you chuckle. "I wanted our wedding to be perfect. You know, Spencer really had to reassure me that I wasn't gonna do anything wrong." She rubs your hand with her thumb and gives you a compassionate smile.

"It was perfect, love. I can't imagine a better wedding."

After dinner Emily starts driving in the opposite direction of the apartment. "Where are we going?"

"You'll see," she replies with a grin.

"Emily,"

"Honey, it's all gonna be good. Promise."

She pulls into a parking garage and holds your hand tight as you walk down the street. "Here." You look at the sign and laugh. 

"Ice cream?"

"Exactly." Some patrons stared at how formally you were dressed, but it was alright. Emily continued to hold your hand through the line, and you each got a milkshake. You wanted to sit outside, but it was far too cold. Emily gave you a quick peck and you noticed the withering glares of a mother and father with their two kids, completely unbothered. They didn't even register your presence, but their parents were pissed.

"Em, don't do that," you mutter under your breath.

"Hmm?" She got a little closer.

"Emily, stop." You sharpened your tone but kept the volume low. "Ten o'clock." She glanced at the bastards, and shuffled in the seat. 

"Yeah. Okay." She unlocked her fingers from yours and put her hand on her own leg. "You wanna go?"

"No, it's fine." You took another sip of your milkshake and looked at something across the room.

"You should," said the mother.

"Anne," the father scolded.

"Don't 'Anne' me, they should leave. This is no place for them,"

"Is it, now?" Emily remarked. You grabbed her leg.

"Love, stop,"

"My kids shouldn't have to see this, they just want to eat their ice cream,"

"And we don't?"

"Emily..."

"You're welcome to eat your ice cream, just don't do that where my kids can see it." The father obviously agrees with her but won't say anything to you. The son is engulfed in his ice cream and the daughter is increasingly uncomfortable with every word her mother speaks. Emily engages in a staring contest with this woman, and you look in their general direction, waiting for this to be over. The daughter looks at you apologetically until her dad gives her a look to make her stop.

"You want another milkshake, honey? It's a special occasion, after all." Emily says, not taking her eyes off Anne.

"Sure," you answer as you try to regain your confidence. 

"Stay here." She pats your leg and gets up. When she returns with the ice cream, you go to the bathroom. You're alone in there when she texts you.

Emily: don't let it get to you love

Y/N: i know, i'm not, i just need a break. i don't wanna deal with this bs, not tonight

Emily: I get it. btw daughter's on her way to the bathroom, just a heads up

Y/N: okay thanks angel <3

You sigh and put your phone in your purse. As the door opens, you start to wash your hands so it doesn't look like you came in the bathroom to get away from this poor girl's family — even though that's exactly what happened. You give her a polite smile and she sighs.

"Ma'am, I'm really sorry. My parents are assholes. Trust me, I know." You both smile. 

"It's okay. Not the first time I've dealt with this." She looks like she's contemplating something, and finally bites the bullet.

"Does it ever get easier?" You raise your eyebrows a little bit. "Dealing with it?" When you take a moment to answer, she shakes her head and scrunches up her face. "Sorry, I shouldn't—"

"No, hey, don't worry about it. It can get easier. I had homophobic parents as well, and...that can be really tough. Do not ever put yourself in danger, especially while you're still dependent on them. But once you're independent, it's your life. Don't let them win. Find someone you love, or don't, but live your life the way you want. You're not hurting anyone, right?" She shakes her head. "Good. That woman out there, the one I'm with? That's my wife." The girl grins.

"Really?"

"Yeah. It's our anniversary today. We've been married for one year. It's gonna be okay, alright? Just stick it out and it'll get better. Deal?" The girl smiles and nods.

"Thank you. And happy anniversary." She exits the bathroom and you grin. You hope you've just made her life a little better. 

—————

there was supposed to be more but i didn't want it to get so long because it's already over a thousand words lmfao sorry