chapter thirty-one // henry

JJ and Will were worried about leaving him, but Henry was elated to get to spend some time with his aunts. The couple's flight left at seven that night, so you got to their house at four. JJ ensured you knew where everything was that you could possibly need, and told you to help yourself to anything in the fridge, just don't get drunk. Of course you wouldn't.

Henry said goodbye to his parents, and you picked him up, balancing him on your hip. "Hey, bud, you hungry?"

"Yeah,"

"Hmm, what if we have...Auntie Emily, what's in the freezer that we can make?" Emily opened it up and gasped. She pulled a bag of something out and held it up, making Henry beam. 

"Dino nuggets!" she exclaimed. Henry nodded and dug his head into your shoulder, feeling bashful. "I think he likes that idea,"

"Do you like that, buddy? Should we have dino nuggets for dinner?"

"Yeah!"

"Okay," you laughed. You and Emily shared a look, and she agreed to make them. You let Henry down and he ran off to his room to play with his trains. The door stayed open, and whenever he saw you out there, he giggled. Emily turned to smile at you.

"You're so sweet with him," she noted. You smiled and shrugged, and sat up at the kitchen island, resting your chin in your hand. "You're so much better with kids than I am,"

"Not true," you laughed. 

"It's more natural for you, at least. Either way," she sighed, "he really loves you." You grinned and glanced at him down the hall. He giggled when you waved, and he waved back, with the other hand over his mouth. 

-

After Henry had gone to bed, you and Emily sat on the couch to watch Jeopardy!, which Will always taped for JJ so they could watch whenever they had time. That's fucking cute. You sat with Emily's arm around you, head on her shoulder, and your legs draped over her lap. "Hey, Y/N?" she asked. You moved your head up a tad to show you were listening. "We've talked about kids, we said want them someday—"

"We just don't know when 'someday' is," you finished. "Yeah, Em, what about it?" You knew right where this was headed, but you were more than happy for her to be the one to say it. To be honest, you'd been thinking about it, too. 

"I've been thinking...how are you feeling about having kids? How do you want to do it? There's just a lot to think about, you know?" You nodded.

"Mm-hmm. I've been thinking about it, too, Em. I really do wanna be a mom, and I want to do it with you. I...I want to be a parent,"

"So do I," she whispered. You smiled. By her nature, Emily wouldn't admit her feelings on something until she was steadfast in those feelings; you knew she was quite certain in this. 

"Can we talk about this in bed?" you asked.

"Of course, love," Emily laughed. Before you could get off her, she picked you up, like she'd carried you after you'd hurt your ankle, and brought you to JJ and Will's guest bedroom where you were staying. You both settled in, taking a moment to get comfortable. Somehow you ended up on the opposite sides from normal, with Emily on your right instead of left. However, as your arm was still healing, this made for optimal spooning technique.

"How soon?" you asked her. "It's gonna take some time to figure out, obviously...when do you want to start figuring things out?" Emily exhaled and wrapped your hair around her finger. 

"I don't know. Having a kid changes everything, including with our jobs. I don't think either of us are ready to quit or transfer, do you?"

"I...I would really have to think about that,"

"Yeah. But hey, we can at least start looking at our options. We don't have to, though, love, there's no pressure. M'kay?" Emily unraveled your hair from around her finger and tucked it behind your ear. "I love you, baby,"

"I love you, too, Ems. And yeah. We can definitely look if you want to. But I wanna go to bed first, Em, so not right now..."

"No," she laughed, "not right now,"

"Mm." A smile crossed your face before you fell asleep.

In the night, Henry woke up and became disoriented, and you could hear him calling out for his parents, distraught when they were nowhere to be found. Emily was still sleeping soundly by your side. You escaped her hold on you and went out into the cool hallway. 

"Hey, buddy, c'mere, it's Auntie Y/N." You kneeled down and Henry jumped into a hug, with his arms wrapped tight around your neck. "What's wrong, bud?"

"I got scared, I forgot Mommy and Daddy weren't home,"

"Oh, yeah, that can be scary. Well, you're okay now, right?" He nodded. "Good. Can we go back to bed now, bud?"

"When I get scared," he said in a tiny voice, looking down, "Mommy lets me sleep in her bed with her. She protects me from the monsters,"

"Oh, there are no monsters in your house, buddy. You know, I work with Mommy, and so does Auntie Emily, and we work as special monster-hunters." Henry giggled. You smile and examine the puppies on his pajamas. "You can come in our bed, that's alright. But we're gonna be really, really quiet and we're not gonna wake up Auntie Emily, 'cause she's still sleeping, all right? Deal?"

"Mm-hmm!" You held up your pinky, and Henry interlocked it with his. 

"Pinky promise," you whispered.

"Pinky promise."

You let Henry climb into bed where you had been, and you put your arm around him. You rubbed his back slowly until he let out the tiniest snore.