*chapter two // partner in (solving) crime

why are cases so annoying to formulate like i gotta make up some issues for a bitch to have and then be like "now what crime would make that issue relevant" lmao

also chapters with smut will be marked with an asterisk, like this chapter!

WARNINGS: mentions of murder, arson, domestic violence (all as part of a case); smut

—————

"Good morning, crime-fighters, I'm sad to report we have a new case!" Garcia was always upbeat with heavy overtones of despair when she presented a case. "In Madison, Wisconsin, three upper-class homes have been burned to the ground. The houses each were home to a family, the DeLaceys, the Carsons, and the Messinas, but the only one inside during each of the fires was the mother. Kids were at school, husbands were at work. All of the women inside died,"

"Clearly he's got some anger towards women," JJ noted.

"Probably his mother," you added. "If it was the mom of each family, it's probably his mother or significant other, if he's older. The DeLaceys and Messinas each had a teenage daughter but she wasn't the one who was killed,"

"If he was angry over a recent girlfriend and he's young, his anger would likely be directed at younger women or teenagers," Emily agreed.

"I doubt he's young, though," said Morgan. "He must have stalked these families for a while if he knew the mothers would be home but not the rest of the family, and it can't be a coincidence. He's highly organized, it's not likely someone so young would be this committed to this victimology,"

"Why these families, though?" JJ asked. "He crosses race lines, so it might not be about his mother,"

"Or the race doesn't matter to him, it's the role of the mother that he's after," you said.

"That's what we've gotta find out. Wheels up in thirty," Hotch said. 

-

On the flight, as you were reviewing the case file, Garcia called in. "My BAU buddies, this case just started to heat up...oh, no, I'm sorry, fire pun very much not intended,"

"Garcia," Hotch warned, stopping her blabbering.

"Right. So sorry, sir. Um, Madison PD just called, they said there was a man who came in with a typed, unsigned note addressed to him threatening his family and discussing the fires in detail, like 'the police haven't released it to the public' kind of detail,"

"All right, thank you, Garcia." She hung up, and Hotch looked between us. "When we land, I'll go to the DeLaceys'; JJ, you and Morgan go to the Carsons'; Reid and Dave to the Messinas', and Prentiss and Y/L/N go to the station, start setting up and talk to the man Garcia mentioned. 

You and Emily took an SUV to the station, where a police sergeant showed you to a conference room and then brought you to the man with the note, Gavin Marshall. "Hello, sir, I'm SSA Y/N Y/L/N, this is SSA Emily Prentiss, we're with the FBI,"

"FBI?"

"We're investigating the recent house fires in the area," Emily explained.

"I see,"

"I understand you have some information pertinent to the case?" He looked between you both for a moment before handing you the note. 

Gavin. I'm doing this all for you. Watch those families tear apart. Don't you see? It's all for you. I don't want to hurt "your" family. I would never touch them. I don't think you have to worry about that. But you...you might end up like those DeLaceys, that father devastated over his wife. And she died in Lana's bedroom, as well...how upsetting for the girl. Shame if Alyssa were to find you like that in HER bed.