Not So Typical Fairy-tale (Frank Longbottom)

I meant to post this last night but I fell asleep before I could ~

So this ended up being posted a few days later than I'd hoped it would be. I glanced over the comments for the last one shot and I don't think anyone managed to get this one correct.

But before you go on to read the story, why don't we catch up?

Did any of you watch the Olympics? I only really tuned in for the figure skating and stayed up until like 5am so I could watch Yuzu get another gold medal. And the closing ceremony was amazing - but I was kind of sad to think that watching EXO perform via my laptop screen was probably the only way I was going to get to see them live. What about you fawns, any one else watch it? How proud were my fellow Erries?

Also, in other news, uni has been cancelled for the rest of the week because of the 'Beast from the East' which, for anyone not from the UK, is basically one hell of a storm. It's come over from the Arctic and ridiculously, we're getting heavy snow storms in March. Spring is supposed to be around the corner and yet it's like -2 degrees here. But hopefully that means that once I finish all my work, I'll be able to post another one shot before Monday (fingers crossed).

I'm determined to kick my habit of midnight writing, especially considering that I have early morning lectures every day. So I just thought I'd take the time to tell the fawns that are still in school to get early night's rest because you'll thank yourself for it later.

Growing up in a pureblood house - in one of the bloody sacred 28 homes - meant that you knew that there were some things you just had to accept. You had to accept that the 'heir' to the family name was likely to be treated like gold and the rest as backups who were to be married off to further the family name. But in one of the families that were facing the brink of 'extinction' things were a little different. In a home that had been blessed with a female heir, it was a completely different ball game.

For as long as I had been able to understand what the adults around me were talking about, I'd been aware of the burden I needed to carry. It wasn't strange for my parent's friends to visit our home to talk and somehow, without fail, the conversation would drift to the fact that the noble Selwyn house had no male heir to carry on the family name. It was within one generation that the family name would be completely wiped out and I tried not to scream out in annoyance each time I heard those words. It wasn't as if I had asked to be born through a complicated pregnancy that would render my mother unable of having another child. And yet it was a blame that I carried from the moment the mediwitch announced that I was a girl.

And now, as I sat in the drawing room where my parents were entertaining yet another group of their friends, I was forced to listen to them as they spoke about their options as if they weren't discussing my life whilst I was sitting right there. I picked at my nails, listening vaguely as my father talked about which family it would be best to link with mine. From under my eyelashes, I eyed the way Mr Crabbe suddenly sat up with interest and fought not to narrow my eyes; I'd sooner marry a flobberworm than marry his son. And if the middle-aged man actually asked me, I'd be more than happy to tell him that.

My mother, without even looking at me, reached out to swat my hand and I instantly stopped picking at my fingers, knowing how much it annoyed her. Silently, not even bothering to turn towards me, mother turned her attention back to Mrs Crabbe who was busy listing the houses that were a part of the sacred 28 - as if my parents hadn't already had the bloody list memorised. Salazar, the moment my parents had realised that it was my destiny to be treated like some sort of prized cow who would be granted to the highest bidder, their interest in the sacred 28 had skyrocketed. How many times could they possibly have this conversation without growing bored?