Twenty-Four

Niall pulled into his childhood homes driveway. Our whole drive was completely silent. Something that never happens between us. But I just wasn't in the mood to talk. He looked over at me about to say something as I opened the door and got out of the car. I walked towards the front door waiting for him to join me. He unlocked the door opening and ushering me in.

"Oh hi honey" Maura greeted me from the living room. The tv flashing some cooking show I knew she loved watching.

"Hi" I smiled shyly waving at her

"I knew I would be seeing you around here more" she winked at Niall. I giggled blushing.

"Mother!" Niall groaned "Bella needs a place to stay tonight is it alright if she stays here?"

"Of course! Bella you're welcome anytime" she walked over to me kissing my cheek

"Thank you mum" I smiled at the name I used to call her. It just came out like second nature. She was my second mom. Ever since we were young, she treated me like her daughter. She pinched my cheeks before returning to her program.

I followed Niall upstairs to his bedroom. The last time I was here I lied drunkly in his bed. I sat down on the bed pulling my knees to my chest.
"Am I a terrible person Ni?" I asked out loud. Something I should have kept in my head.

"What? What would you say that?" Niall sat next to me on his bed.

"It's just" I groaned "Hudson he.."

"Is a fucking asshole" Niall blurted
I looked over to him with tears in my eyes. "Don't call him that ... He loves me Niall"

"No he doesn't" he shook his head "He hits you doesn't he?"

I bite my lip. Not wanting to answer. I quickly stood up turning away from Niall. Tears in my eyes.

"Bella please don't avoid the question this time"  he stood up as well. Turning me around to face him.

"Yes" I stammered. My whole body shaking. He placed his arms on my shoulders to steady me.

"That's not a way to show love" he whispered. I studied  his face. His features sad and tears in his eyes. I've never seen him this way. I walked away from him over to the window looking out at the stars.

"Can we go for a walk?" I asked whipping a few tears from my own eyes "I need some fresh air"

"Yeah course" he walked over to his suitcase pulling out a navy hoodie. "It's freezing out, put this on" he handed it to me before grabbing one for himself.

"Thanks Ni" I pulled it on. The feeling of comfort immediately taking over my body. A feeling I haven't felt in awhile.

We made it down stairs. Telling Maura goodnight before starting on our walk.
We took our normal path around our childhood neighborhood. The same path we used to race bikes on when we were younger.

"So" I stared conversation as we crossed our third block. "Thank you for performing at The Mist, it means a lot to me. I know you came here for a break, you didn't have to perform"

"Of course Bella!" He chuckled "you don't need to thank me. I love performing. It's my passion"

"I just know it meant a lot to Connor, he kind of got thrown this business and was scared he couldn't handle it. But with the crowd you bring in it's been amazing"

I turned to him smiling.
"Anytime Bella" he grabbed my hand intertwining it with his. I hesitated but left my hand in his knowing he was just trying to comfort me.

We walked a few more blocks in silence before it was Niall's turn to speak up.

"I'm glad you let me back in your life"

I didn't say anything just looked down at the sidewalk in front of me.

"Bella, I'm sorry I know I fucked up. I couldn't imagine losing you so I just decided to not talk to you at all. It doesn't make sense-"

"No Niall " I stoped us by standing in front of him "it wasn't you're fault, I took it out on you and I'm sorry" I sighed "I made mistakes too"
He pulled me into a hug making me laugh.

"I have missed your hugs tho" I admitted

He pulled me in tighter. "This much?"

"No Niall to much.... I can't breathe" I chocked
He pulled away. Both of us dying from laughter.

He intertwined our fingers again as we continued walking.

"I missed you" he whispered

"I missed you too Ni" I said softer then him with a smile.

We continued walking for a bit. Hand in hand. He ran his fingers over my hand realizing I wasn't wearing my ring.

"What happened to your ring?"
I pulled my hand out of his wrapping my arms around my chest.

"Oh uh" I hugged my self tighter. "I took it off last night"

"Why?" I looked over at Niall whose eyes were completely on me. I quickly looked away. I started to cry. Bawl out of nowhere.

"Bella talk to me" Niall said stepping in front of me holding my shoulders. "What's wrong?"

His concern catching my off guard. No one was ever this concerned for me.

"He raped me Niall!" I blurted out "He broke all his promises, he promised to never hurt me again but he has done that multiple times. He even hurt the ones I love! In return he hurt me more. He can't have me anymore. I need to leave him but I'm scared. He's my whole life. I can't even go to work without having him there." I wailed. Looking up at Niall through my tears noticing he was crying too. From a mix of anger and sadness.

"No Niall" I sobbed gripping onto his hoodie strings to pull him near me. Burying my face into his chest. He wrapped his arms around me. The feeling of comfort coming over me. No one has ever held me why I cried. It was a new feeling of peace for me.

"You're never going back to him"  he cried " You're safe with me now. I'm never going to let him place another finger on you. I'm sorry Bella"

We stood in each others arms crying. I wrapped my arms around Niall's neck pulling him as close as I could. It  felt so good to let it out. Like lifting a burden from my chest that's been there for years. The promise coming from his mouth felt different then Hudson's. I knew Niall would keep his promises.