||Chapter 22||

-Author's POV-

The darkness terrified her, but it also made her feel alive. The rush of her heartbeat racing was a type of high she was addicted to.

Thump, thump.

Thump, thump, thump.

She smiles, Cheryl's voice was a trigger to the smirk playing on her lips.

"So you just tell the girls if they have a problem, then they can come and talk us." Madison tears her gaze away from the window, the world rushes past them as the Geordie speeds through the streets.

"I don't think they'll say it to my face really," The teen shrugs. "They usually talk behind my back." She shrugs again; completely unfazed with the hate she's been getting from her fellow contestants.

"What do they say?" Cheryl asks curiously.

"Stupid stuff" Madison was never one to gossip, and she sure as hell didn't crave pity.

"Like.." Cheryl takes her eyes off the road, and looks at Madison who was now looking back out of her window. She looks up at the moon and stars following them through this journey.

"Just stuff, it doesn't-"

"It does matter," Cheryl cuts her off.

"Argh," Madison groans and rolls her eyes. She readjusts herself and turns back around to look at Cheryl.

"Apparently I don't deserve to be here," She explains. "But I don't really care what anyone thinks, they can say what they like. It's not going to change the fact I'm here." The words bring a smile to Cheryl's face, once again; she glances at the teen and keeps the smile whole.

"Do you just go around surprising people all the time?" Cheryl asks, her foot gently presses on the break pedal as they near a red light.

"No," Madison speaks with a bit of confusion, but she never shows it. "You're the first."

They share a smile.

"Are you okay?" The Geordie asks; their eyes meet in the dark shadows of the night. The odd flicker from the stoplight gives them enough light to see their expressions change along with the conversation. Confusion, uncertainty, and guarding of the words express in the teens appearance.

"Yeah?" She shrugs, "Why wouldn't I be?"

"Just wondering.. I.. I did overhear your parents you know-"

"Yeah we've established that." Madison replies, unruffled with Cheryl's eavesdropping.

"Are you upset I did like?"

"Can't really change the past can we? It already happened," The words hit home with the Geordie. "Even if I was upset right now, can I change what happened? No. So whatever."

Before Cheryl has a chance to reply, the honking jolts her back to reality. Forcing her to continue the short drive back to the contestant's home. Her mind is a mess with the words Madison had just sounded, she's speechless - they sink deep.

"Well," Madison smiles, the car comes to a calming stop. "Thanks for the lift-"

"We should do it again, Kimba and I really liked you hanging with us."

Without a thought, Madison unbuckles her seatbelt and leans across the space between them. She places a kiss to Cheryl's cheek.

"Thank you." Her words sound in a low whisper, and just like the wind, she was gone; leaving Cheryl in a storm of her own thoughts.