||Chapter 43||

-Author's POV-

Cheryl finishes the final arrangements with the last of her girls, she tried to laugh and smile, but her upset heart couldn't seem to crack a single smile. Madison was the only thing on her mind, and she was beyond upset with Clara for taking her time away from the teen.

She fiddles with her phone through the car journey, deliberating if it would be appropriate to call Madison; all she wanted to do was hear the teens laugh. She wanted to hear her voice, the thoughts that Madison would sound without filtering, and she desperately wanted to hear the smile in her voice.

Cheryl fights against her thoughts and calls Madison.

-----

Madison giggles, she has never been so ecstatic. For once, her parents had finally given up their work time, and focused on her.

"Alright champ," Connor chuckles, "It's your turn, roll the dice." Madison smiles and shakes the pieces in her hand; another giggle is sounded before releasing the numbered dices onto the board.

"YES! In your face Daddy!" She fist pumps her arm into the air and moves her playing piece. "I'm so going to win this!" Madison giggles.

"There's still my turn," Clara laughs at her daughters' childishness, "Don't get ahead of yourself now." The mother has been giving Madison exactly what she always wanted.

Her time.

Her attention.

She was finally getting it all, and she didn't dare to question it.

"In your face Madison," The mother joins in on the playfulness and moves past her daughters' playing piece.

Madison rolls her eyes; she sulks back into the dinning table seat.

"I still have another turn-"

"Don't even try," Clara cuts off her daughter, "I've got this in the bag-"

"No I've got this-"

"It's your father's turn and I'm sure he's not getting anywhere with his piece still at the start of the board." Clara teases her.

Madison rolls her eyes with a pout.

"Daddy," Just as she goes to speak again her phone rings loudly.

"Uh-ah!" Clara snatches Madison's phone right before she answers Cheryl's call. "No phones remember?" The mother ignores the call and turns off the teens phone.

"Mum!" Madison groans, "I need to answer-"

"We said no phones, I don't have my phone, and neither does your father." The teen suppresses herself from sadness.

"Fine." She whispers, her hands rest atop of the wooden table, she distracts her mind in hopes to stop herself from getting upset.

"Come on sweetheart," Clara sighs, she reaches out and places her hand over Madison's. "We were having a good time-"

"I know but what if she wanted to tell me something important-"

"I'm sure it can wait until tomorrow-"

"And what if it's about tomorrow? What if she can't make it? What if Kimberley-"

"Madison," Clara speaks more firmly this time, "I said that's enough. Come on now, its your fathers turn to roll the dice."

The teen nods and focuses back to her father's cheery actions. Her lips quiver in sadness, but she's imposing her tears. She was unsure why she'd allowed Cheryl to change her mood so abruptly.